Notices

Why are coilovers better?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2002, 10:04 AM
Blitzmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this may sound stoopid but really, I would like to know the pros of coilovers over aftermarket springs.

As I understand, coilovers may be adjusted for height (achieved by lowering springs albeit fixed position) but there is there a certain limit where the lowering would have achieved an optimum performance?

Are the dampers adjustable on coilovers as well? If so, does it mean that normal driving and track days, we would have to adjust the damping rate?

Can the same effect achieved by changing bushes, upgrading antiroll bar, top and lower braces (both front and rear)?

Not sure which way to go.
Old 01 October 2002, 01:50 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

Blitzmania

The main benefit is adjustability - with coilovers you can set the ride height independently of the spring rate, and you also get a far greater choice of springs.

Depending on what you want to spend you can get anything from a single adjustment of both bounce and rebound damping to independent control of both slow and high speed in bounce and rebound (but expect to pay through the nose for this level of control)

If you're starting with the standard suspension I'd recommend first changing the roll bar links for solid ones, and then possibly fitting an uprated roll bar and the Whiteline anti-lift kit. Just doing that will make a big difference to the handling, without impacting the ride quality too much.

Matthew

Old 01 October 2002, 02:28 PM
Blitzmania
Scooby Regular

thanks, exactly my thoughts.

i was contemplating of having the following set up:

keep the sti dampers but with eibach lowering springs (already done)

lower front and rear braces (already done)

Top front and rear braces (already done)

uprated 22mm (i think) anti roll bars and polyeutherane bushes (already done) and uprated link as well.

just wondering if my set up is not far out from a coilover kit other than the latter being adjustable?

my understanding that the stiffer the car the less roll, so the difference i can see is down to the damper rate. but when a car is so stiff, would changing the damper rate makes any major difference to the handling?