Notices

Help required - Rear Antiiroll Bar Support???

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2002, 07:24 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All,

Can anyone advice what the U-shaped brackets attached to the chassis with a bush in the bottom loop that the anit-roll bar passes through is called?

Also.. does anybody have one? My nearside bracket has completely sheared and the bracket is knocking quite severely against the chassis over bumps.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 16 September 2002, 02:09 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

kev, try www.whiteline.com.au for replacements. powerstation distribute in the UK

stu
Old 16 September 2002, 02:38 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

yeah - the Whilteline Heavy Duty Mounting Brackets are much more substantial, and help the swaybars work better too.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:47 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what has sheared? the bolt or bracket... and Id try and work out why first...

David
Old 16 September 2002, 05:11 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

They are called Sway bar links or anti-roll bar links depending on where you come from.
Std ones from any Subaru breakers or uprated ones from Power staion, Town end garage etc.

Iain.
Old 17 September 2002, 02:34 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oops - that's the end lnk itself then...just get some new ones - or A/M ones. The placky ones can break, esp. if they are mated with an uprated ARB/swaybar.
Old 17 September 2002, 04:33 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

Thanks for the responses - very helpful. I am not sure how or why link has broken... the bolts are fine. The ARB is uprated as are the bushes and its adjusted to the mid point, perhaps some of the Whiteline brackets are in order... will check out the site.

Thanks again,

Kev

PS - have located online, a '96 turbo being broken for spares locally - just the job temporarily... will upgrade the links when I get my 18s and suspension alignment readjusted!

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 9/17/2002 5:11:36 AM]
Old 17 September 2002, 11:01 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I Have a PS rear sway bar, can someone tell me which hole would be best to fix it with and why!!! there seems to be 4 or 5 fixing holes on each end.

Cheers

Steve
Old 17 September 2002, 11:47 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Can I just say, as previously stated, if you are fitting an uprated ARB then please also fit suitable links. I have seen this happen so many times when leaving the originals in place. Fitting solid links will also load up the ARB quicker.

Speak to Townend they usually stock the rear links.

As regards which hole to use, it's for you to decide. Try them all and see which suits your driving style. The hole at the very end of the bar is the softest setting so I'd suggest you start here.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:34 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

<ECHO>

Get your links changed before they break - they even help on std ARBs/swaybars.

</ECHO>

I learnt early when one went at speed - luckily the only things that needed changing were my pants and links

Oh, and you don't need an alignment when you change them - not a particularly difficult DIYer either.

I now have pillow ball links - noisy but tough
Old 17 September 2002, 06:05 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Further to your responses - these are not the links that attach at the end of the ARB. They are thin metal brackets that hang from the chassis (not the suspension) with a loop on the end for the ARB. The ARB passes through these and then bends to connect to the suspension via the links you mention (already uprated on my car - came with the ARBs).

I have been to Beechdale (Nottm) today and ordered the necessary part. Strangley the offside is cheaper than the near, but at £25 I'm not grumbling as I will fit them myself - looking forward to having the car handling like it used to! In fact I might fully adjust my rear ARB and experiment with the tyre pressures.

AJBaseBloke - I'm only gonna get my alignment done because Nottingham roads are sh*te and its been well over a year since it was last done at Powerstation - plus I'll be getting 18s on as well. I'm glad you didn't have major issues when your links went, could have been worse!

Cheers,

Kev
Old 18 September 2002, 09:29 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Kev, we are the largest and longest established and certainly the largest supplier of Whiteline suspension components in the UK, (I thought you would have known that).

I would look at why it has broken if I were you as well. Heavy duty mounts are available.

Mike.
Old 18 September 2002, 11:43 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Also be aware that if the ARB bushes that attach to this bracket were not greased on install, it's likely it will bind with time...greatly increasing the abuse the support must take

Some Aussie's have experienced this even if greased (due to extra heat), fix is to strip the blue paint off this area, re-grease and re-assemble.

Richard
Old 18 September 2002, 01:49 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Kev,

Fair enough on the alignment - hope everything gets worked out. I have found the Whiteline stuff to be first rate in general (never used the links though).
Old 22 September 2002, 09:53 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

AJBaseBloke,

Cheers for that.

Dowser,

Good point... I didn't fit them myself, so cannot comment on the greasing aspect. I may take it all apart and greas it all up now I have the new support bracket fitted (£13.50 in the end).

Mike,

I bought all the MRT ARB gear from you, as you well know. I did contact Scoobymania for uprated parts (I don't think you were there), but when I turned up, they were the wrong parts.

Aside from the fact that I wanted to sort it over the weekend before putting any further undue stress on the opposite support, I've just forked out a huge sum (£££s) on the car as you know and this was an unexpected additional outlay. So for £13.50, I'm not complaining about the standard part - at least it handles properly now

Cheers,

Kev