Notices

Suspension mods affect your insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2002, 08:44 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm with Greenlight aswell and recently had the anti-lift kit, bumpsteer mod, solid drop links all round and uprated rear anti-roll bar fitted by Powerstation (expensive trip ). I already had the Eibachs fitted, and the insurance premium was not affected.

PS Stear clear of Curtis as he'll sell you everything! I only wanted the bumpsteer and solid drop links when I first when in! However the car does handle superbly.

Edited to add - I also have a MY00 Wagon. You won't believe the difference the above has made.

[Edited by Scott W - 9/6/2002 8:45:31 AM]
Old 05 September 2002, 09:30 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

When talking to my insurer (Greenlight) about mods they said power mods were generally fine, but suspension mods could be awkward.

I'd like to improve the handling on my MY00 wagon for reasonably low cost so was thinking of a trip to PS to get

* Bump steer mod
* Eibachs
* Front strut brace

Seems a lot of people on here have got similar mods - did it hike up your insurance?
Old 06 September 2002, 10:41 PM
AML
Scooby Regular

Hi there.
I recently got the prodrive suspension kit and I phones my insurance ( admiral ).
The only question the girl asked was " was the car lowered more that 5cm or less than 5cm " !!!??? The prodrive kit does not lower the car too much ...less than 5cm ...had to pay £37 extra...so cool.
p.s. don't know where they get 5cm from...that would be a seriously low scooby!!!
Old 07 September 2002, 12:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rang greenlight last week to inform them of my Eibachs. Did not increase the price at all. They did add £95 for a full decat though!
Old 09 September 2002, 12:45 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Sorry to steel the thread but I bought a front and rear sway bar from PS but have noticed that the car already has them they are fitted so what is the benefit of fitting the lovely blue PS ones I have bought. Also the orig drop links are plastic does this mean there is no weight on them? what are they for apart from bridging a gap ???? this is a serious question not a p155 take.??
Old 11 September 2002, 08:46 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I really could do with an answer to my question please !!!!
Old 11 September 2002, 05:09 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

avo coilovers and greenlight charged me an extra £50
considering the car feels like a ballistic missile i think that was quite reasonable

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2002, 06:09 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Had eiback fitted recently by TSL - Greenlight chanrged no extra premium just a £20 change of schedule fee.

Piers LoFi
Old 19 September 2002, 07:43 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wurzel,

If you already got a set do you want to sell the PS ones mate ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 19 September 2002, 12:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Also the orig drop links are plastic does this mean there is no weight on them? what are they for apart from bridging a gap ???? this is a serious question not a p155 take.??
Trying desperately to understand how your mind works. LOL

anti roll bars are just an undamped spring that links both sides of the cars suspension together. Think of them as a torsion bar and the spring effect is the twist in the bar, rather than an up and down compression of a conventional spring. They are used to couple the two sides suspension together yet still allow independant movement of each wheel. The harder (thicker) the ARB the less independant each side becomes. If on both sides the suspension is compressed on a bump together, then the ARB does nothing, if one side compresses some of that load is transfered into the other sides suspension. Thats why in the wet or bumpy roads, you want a soft ARB, in the dry on smooth roads you want a stiff ARB.

The drop links are there to transfer the load/movement in the suspension arm into the anti roll bar and then onto the the other sides suspension through another drop link. They are plastic with rubber bushes so are not very rigid. What this means is that they dont just act as a link, they introduce some flex and therefor damping/rate of load change into the connection. The effect of this is that the links are not supplying the antiroll bar with the force in a linear way, so you are having a variable rate antiroll bar. As they load up and twist, they eventually become solid, at which point the full force is fed into the bar. This is good for noise but terible for consistent handling, hence the popularity of using white line drop links which are a steel link with high compresion rubber bushes. On a race car you use rose joints which are totaly solid in the direction of load.

hope this helps.