Notices

How to soften ones suspension

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2002, 11:42 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Now, this is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I've had my UK Sti for 2 months now and I like it, but it a very different car than the MY99 I have before.

Tonight my wife complained that the ride was too "bouncy" and making her feel sick.

I've been reading the threads about the forthcoming Prodrive spring and wondered if that would help.

Also bearing in mind that I didn't buy the car to race it around the track and more so on it having 265hp, a six speed box and better build than my MY99. So, "flame suit on", how about fitting WRX suspension?? My Subaru garage said that IM wouldn't warranty the suspension after it was fitted, but they have had quite a few requests for it... I know the cars are diffent weights, but would it make that much difference if I didn't use the car to it's limits?

Anyone's thoughts...

Gareth.
Old 20 July 2002, 12:59 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bouncy suggests that the springs might be a little to hard for the rebound damping, or, your setup is hard enough to be bouncing on the tyres.

If you fit spring that are too soft for the dampers, they will jack down, as the spring won't be hard enough to overcome the rebound damping. This is why things are matched, ish.

Some of the aftermarket springs are more progressive than standard, and might help, but I am no expert on the latest Sti spring rates.

If you wanted to swap, I am sure you could get a good price for the Sti suspension. I would also consider coilovers, simply because they are probably going to be not much more than the inflated subaru prices, but should allow you to set the suspension how you prefer it.

Paul
Old 20 July 2002, 11:25 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for your ideas Paul,

Just done a 300 mile round trip to Dorset today and here are my observations on the ride.

1) Tarmac motorway - Ok ride
2) Tarmac motorway, poor quality - Rally cr@p, bouncy ride
3) B Roads - Excellent fun
4) Cement motorway - surprising good ??

The latter really surprised me, has anyone else experienced this??

One thing I also found out is the Subaru garage had really over inflated my tires and letting some air out has helped this a little.

I will be watching this BBS with interest when the Prodrive springs come out to see if they improve things!

Thanks
Gareth.