Prodrive spring equivalents

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2023, 01:46 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive spring equivalents

Hi,
I need to replace the blue Prodrive springs on my 2007 WRX saloon and was thinking of getting some from PCA Dynamics but see that the website isn't active any more so wondering if anyone has any views on what would be the closest match io the Prodrive characteristics, ride, handling, height etc.
As a side note, I have got a set of Pedders springs that I've never fitted but from looking at the spring rates (157 front, 128 rear) they look to be softer than the Prodrives (although there isn't anything official on the Prodrive rates only some info on NASIOC I found) so thinking might be a bit marginal on hitting the bump stops given that they're similar height.
If anyone has any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by scoobydog; 12 August 2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12 August 2023, 04:16 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

WRX - a 200lb/in front and 180lb/in rear, would be about right.

Whiteline's bug springs are 196/185, but you'd need bug rear top mounts and bug/classic upper rear rubber isolators (the classic rubbers are more robust). You'd probably need rear spacers, as the Prodrive springs had more positive chassis rake = higher ride height at the rear.
https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/c...01-coil-spring

Unless, you have inverted struts? They have high rear gas pressures, so you might be OK.
If not, bug rear spacers:
https://www.paranoidfabrications.com...a-lift-spacers

Last edited by 2pot; 12 August 2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12 August 2023, 06:21 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
WRX - a 200lb/in front and 180lb/in rear, would be about right.

Whiteline's bug springs are 196/185, but you'd need bug rear top mounts and bug/classic upper rear rubber isolators (the classic rubbers are more robust). You'd probably need rear spacers, as the Prodrive springs had more positive chassis rake = higher ride height at the rear.
https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/c...01-coil-spring

Unless, you have inverted struts? They have high rear gas pressures, so you might be OK.
If not, bug rear spacers:
https://www.paranoidfabrications.com...a-lift-spacers
Thanks 2Pot that's much appreciated. It was converted to standard struts some time ago so the bug option with the conversion sounds a good match. Do you think the standard bump stops which were put in to match the standard non-inverted struts would still be the right spec for these?
Old 12 August 2023, 06:58 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

yhpm
Old 12 August 2023, 07:27 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobydog
Hi,
I need to replace the blue Prodrive springs on my 2007 WRX saloon and was thinking of getting some from PCA Dynamics but see that the website isn't active any more so wondering if anyone has any views on what would be the closest match io the Prodrive characteristics, ride, handling, height etc.
As a side note, I have got a set of Pedders springs that I've never fitted but from looking at the spring rates (157 front, 128 rear) they look to be softer than the Prodrives (although there isn't anything official on the Prodrive rates only some info on NASIOC I found) so thinking might be a bit marginal on hitting the bump stops given that they're similar height.
If anyone has any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
I believe that Peter Cambridge sadly passed at the beginning of the year.
Old 13 August 2023, 02:46 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I believe that Peter Cambridge sadly passed at the beginning of the year.
I'm really sorry to hear that. Was in contact with him a year or so back to get some springs in readiness for when I needed them (unexpected expense preventing me in the end, hence the above now needed) and he was extremely helpful and a really nice genuine person. Condolences to his family.
Old 04 October 2023, 05:36 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Its taken a while but finally got the springs installed and road tested (about 64 miles done and will get an alignment booked after a few more) and have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the Whiteline springs. Whilst admittedly its not always fair to compare new to old (the Prodrive springs were very corroded and most likely sagged a bit after 90k miles) the progressive nature of the new ones (think the Prodrive were linear?) seems to be more suited to the poor roads I often drive on as they seem to remove some of the sharp jolts I was getting before without any detectable (by me at least) loss of cornering ability or general responsiveness. They also seem better matched to the stiff sidewall 18" Bridgestone Potenza Sport tyres (brilliant tyre), so all in all a great result.

Huge thanks to 2Pot for his advice and help on speccing the springs and bump stops - much appreciated!

Last edited by scoobydog; 04 October 2023 at 05:38 PM.