Notices

Classic gc8 - coilovers or standard suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2021, 05:56 PM
craynerd
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Classic gc8 - coilovers or standard suspension?

I’ve had my car 8 weeks and it’s on maxspeedingrods coilovers set so low the tyres are nearly rubbing (215 35 18). I could raise them but the dampening doesn’t seem adjustable and it’s uncomfortable to ride! Coincidently I’ve a 6 hour drive and then tracking it this weekend but in the grand scheme of things, it’ll go on a track and few times a year and the rest is road driving and shows!

I’ve the option of buying all the items second hand below :
BC coilovers £600
red sti - springs and dampers £550
standard uk2000 £150

It’s a money pit so my wallet is hurting 😆

is the standard suspension going to be ok or will I regret not going for the BC’s or sti reds?

I see people going both ways. I’m keen to know what you guys would go for and importantly, for the money are the two more expensive options worth it?

uk2000 my99
remap - ECUlabs
sti intercooler
vf35

Cheers
Old 31 August 2021, 09:51 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The UK2000 setup is really good for our roads. I actually prefer it to the STi red suspension which I find harsher in comparison. The dampers will very likely be shot by now but as long as the springs are in good condition you can swap out the old shocks for new KYB Excel-Gs for not much whereas inverted dampers are much more expensive to buy new. Make sure to replace top mounts as well. Not tried BCs but they will almost certainly be less compliant than struts and springs, not ideal for the road especially if you are running 35-profile tyres. They make more sense on a track car particularly with adjustable top mounts.

The car will drive and ride better on 17s if you're not wedded to the look of the bigger rims.

Last edited by plenty; 31 August 2021 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01 September 2021, 09:49 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Some very good information by @plenty

I was running 215/45/R17s with BCs. Setting them up properly/to how you like is a night and day difference. I had a set come with the classic and they were terrible. I was genuinely shocked because I had BCs on a newage and they were brilliant. I had enough and started messing with the settings and it changed how the suspension felt. They were so much better.

If you're going to 17s get a light weight alloy.
Old 05 September 2021, 07:57 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi, I had the updated springs and dampers on my UK turbo. (Similar to the sti ones) Much better than the standard. However After a few years I replaced them for BCs - the difference was incredible! I did not have the dampers set too hard. Replaced the rear roll bar, fitted anti lift kit and upgraded the drop links - the car was amazing. However this was on 17s - don’t recon it would have been as compliant on the Uk roads with 18s. Go for the BCs as long as you are running no bigger than 17s they are really good.
Old 05 September 2021, 08:03 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what it looked like regarding the ride height on the BCs the week before I crashed it 😢

Old 23 October 2021, 08:15 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if you have made a decision by now, but personally I would avoid coilovers on anything other than a dedicated track car. I had BCs on my 2006 WRX and it was harsh and crashy on anything other than the smoothest of roads. I hated almost every moment of it and I removed them within 6 months.
I have stuck with standard KYB shocks on some progressive Eibach springs and it works well on the road, but I am considering another full swap once again as i have shock knock on the rear.
pedders do a full kit pre assembled so a quick bolt off on job to fit and apparently they are quite good. Just need to bite the bullet on them now as I am still undecided on that myself.