Notices

coilover nightmare (help me )

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2012, 07:19 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilover nightmare (help me )

i bought a modded 06 sti spec d 5 months ago, its fitted with ast sportline 1 or 11 (not sure which ones) its got whiteline top mounts i ve been told.
the problem is that i think it been set up for track and the ride is far too hard and the cars too low for what i need it for, to make matters worse the o/s/f top shocker bearing is either sticking or has siezed ( again, so ive been told), i ve been in touch which ast and its not looking and my local garage reckons im gonna have to replace the full set of coilovers, i just wanna know where to go from here, what is the standard sti setup like ? or can the ast,s be fixed and adjusted to my kind of setup, i ve never delt with uprated suspension so im a bit lost, any info would be great,
cheers,
ste
Old 02 January 2012, 07:29 PM
the hamster
BANNED

You need it looked at by someone like Carnetix mate. They do a geometry and height set-up for Impreza suspension. Its a bit of a drive for you, and there may be somewhere else that can do it closer to you if you ask on here.

If the strut top has a problem it may be possible to replace it instead of changing the lot.

You may want to consider changing to sti shocks/springs for a softer ride. Jimmy has just changed from a classic with coilovers to one with sti suspension and the difference is noticable in terms of ride and comfort. Unfortunately, knocking coilovers are a common problem on here, especially if running them hard or with low profile tyres (40/35 profile).
Old 02 January 2012, 07:41 PM
trainer
Scooby Regular

I have EXE-TC coil overs on a 05 STI had them over 2 years with no issues they where fitted and set by Tracktive Solutions there in Melton Mowbray Richard really knows is stuff i can recommend Tracktive as they have looked after my car from new
The other place ive heard good reports of are Chevron in Stafford but ive not used them.
Old 02 January 2012, 07:57 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

I think its lookin like changing back to standard suspension is best. I ve heard about havin coilovers rebuilt but I would still need them setting to suit me. Just seems a shame when the owner spent a fortune havin them put on.
Old 02 January 2012, 08:09 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

find someone local to set them up for you - ask in your local section on here

Last edited by The Zohan; 02 January 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 08:21 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Sportline Is have 22mm diameter shafts (ie the shiny bit in the middle of the spring), the II have 45mm.

http://www.ast-suspension.com/sportline2.asp

There should be an adjuster **** on top of each shock, two under the bonnet, two behind the back seat by the window. If you turn these anti-clockwise, it softens the ride, and vice-versa.

AST have just quoted me £75 per shock (Sportline Is) for a rebuild (or £135 with their new design of internals) and £55 for a new spring to replace the rusty original (ie AST) ones. I'm puzzled why they are unable to help you (if that's what you're saying?)
Old 02 January 2012, 08:34 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

I ve tried adjusting the gold ***** to the softest settings but because the ride height is so low the underside of the car catches on everything , so I've got to stiffen them up again. I'm still waiting to hear back off ast ,I think there struggling to help me because I can't tell them the actual fault with the o/s/f shocker bearing.
Old 02 January 2012, 08:47 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Mine ('05 model Blob) have the bottom of the adjustable spring seats set 50 - 55mm up from the bottom of the screw threads on the shock bodies. I assume (and I'm ready to be corrected here as I'm no expert) that the higher the spring seats, the higher the car will sit, within reason.

Are yours set right down the threads towards the hubs and if so, can you wind them up to raise the car? The adjuster ***** should only affect the compression and rebound resistance of the dampers rather than the ride height.

The top bearings on the front shocks are mainly there to allow the steering to pivot. What are the symptoms of the alleged seizure please?

Last edited by Osimabu; 02 January 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 09:01 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

thats the problem, the steering, when reversing into my drive ( lock to lock) theres a really loud clunking sound, the mechanic at my garage said that the bearing goes so far then its being forced and thats when the clunking happens,
my front springs are set 75mm up from the lip just below were the thread starts.i think thats quite a bit lower than yours, maybe thats that problem sorted, but the o/s/f still needs attension.
Old 02 January 2012, 09:32 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

75mm sounds more than mine rather than less (I'm talking about 50 - 55mm of exposed thread below the underside of the spring seats) but I may have misunderstood you.

If the top mountings are Whiteline, this is their website:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...=9%2F04-8%2F07

They don't look too difficult for replacement purposes to me, but I've yet to take mine off, so hopefully someone else with greater expertise will pick this up and offer some first hand advice.

There does seem to be some "professional" opinion that anyone with defective ASTs needs to replace them with different makes, but if they're good enough for Litchfields (and as they're much dearer than other brands), I suspect this is likely to be a sales ploy rather than a genuine bit of good advice.

The last owner of my car was told his leaking offside rear AST meant all four needed to be replaced and was offered some BCs, which the garage just happened to sell.... He declined, I'm pleased to say.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/s...product=LIH001
Old 05 January 2012, 02:45 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

What top mounts have you got on your ast,s.
Old 05 January 2012, 04:43 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

They're not adjustable for camber so they may just be standard ones. There's no name visible on them.
Old 05 January 2012, 07:27 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Cheers. Think that's the route I'm gonna have to go down. Cant seem to get a certain answer off anyone,cheers.
Old 05 January 2012, 08:32 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

If your in accrington pal nip over and see steve at cotcomp in preston
Old 05 January 2012, 09:25 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Yeh I ve spoke to him and the mounts he suggested are not in stock until mid feb, I can't wait until then, the car clunking like mad.cheers tho .
Old 05 January 2012, 09:27 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Just a thought... as regards the clunking on hard lock reversing. Your Spec D has the dccd (differential) and if in default auto mode, the 'clunking' is normal if reversing at low speed with full lock and sepecially if adverse camber. The clunking sensation is reduced if not eliminated if you put into manual mode using the switch by the handbrake and scrolling the adjacent wheel adjuster so the 'setting' by the speedo is on the bottom green setting. Thought I would mention if it at least sorts one issue out. Cannot comment on coilovers, as my 2006 STI is on standard OE springs and shocks - I'm not enthralled by this set up (see my other threads about pondering uprated springs or just having geometry done to OE set up) but I'm certainly not going down coilover route as I have seen enough comment about failures/ongoing maintenance to suggest coilovers are NOT the utopia permanant fix all solution.
Old 06 January 2012, 07:00 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Yeh I thought it was the diff but it isn't . It's defo the top mounts, it's more of a loud doink sound rather than a clunking.its the springs being forced into position.i think it's a common fault with adjustable top mounts, the bearing must be too exposed, I would,nt advise coil overs, I ve owned lots of performance cars all with standard shocks and never had a prob, I ve only had the spec d 5 months and it's been a nightmare.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:12 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

And yet mine has had them from new (7 years ago), it's done over 38000 miles and, other than a slight weep from one, they're fine.