Notices

Legacy Estate Rear Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 08:21 AM
Mad Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have noticed that when cornering and particularly when going around roundabouts the rear of the car seems to dip and feel unstable? I have checked for obvious damage / wear in the rear end i.e. anti role bar - bushes – play in wheel bearings etc but can not see anything obvious.
I have been told that it could be the springs? I also have a slight rubbing on the N/S/R tyre wall?
Anybody got any ideas PLEASE…
Old 25 June 2002, 09:01 PM
Paul Michael Davis
Scooby Regular

This sounds more like worn rear shocks, car would also feel unstable at the rear when driving over bumps (try some speed bumps)
The standard Legacy wheels should not rub the arches, but if you have upgraded to Impreza 16 inch alloys they will rub at the rear under hard cornering.
Old 26 June 2002, 08:24 AM
Mad Matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Paul

Yes I have upgraded to Impreza 16 inch alloys. As for the speed bumps, the car feels fine when going over them its more when cornering on a bumpy road that the car seems to move about. I am letting a mate of mine drive the car to see what he thinks??

The question being if I need new shocks / springs do I go for std ones or somthing a bit more beefy?? And are they expensive ?? anybody any ideas …..
Old 01 July 2002, 11:50 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put on some sti shocks and springs, including topmounts and everything.

Front is perfect, rear is about 20mm too low. If you corner hard on a bumpy road, the back starts to float a little, so I think it's on the bump stops.

If you can stomach the cash, bilstein do a legacy kit. I am happy with the dampers, but will probably try and get some whiteline rear springs.

Paul