Notices

HSD Coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2021, 02:43 AM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSD Coilover question

Hi all, So my 2007 Hawkeye Impreza no turbo has these coil overs installed on them had 2 questions.

1. General thoughts on them from the community

2. The last owner lowered it a tad too much and when going over speed bumps and bumps it hits... What height would you guys recommend raising them to for it not to be an issue but still look nice

https://www.hsdcoilovers.com.au/subaru-impreza-wrx-my01-07-sti-my01-04-gd-hsd-coil~2866058

Last edited by Sukira; 15 February 2021 at 02:47 AM.
Old 17 February 2021, 10:06 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have HSD Monopro, i think they are alright had them for about 1k miles now, they can feel bit harsh on its hardest setting but ok once wind them to soft. As for ride height really is up to you mine sits about 20mm ish off the arch and back of the exhaust can scrape occasionally but not too bad.
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 February 2021, 02:47 PM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply, yea the previous owner didn't have the manual/let me know how to adjust(nothing youtube cant help with but thought i'd ask people ) so I was left to find the info myself. Do mine being dual tech have the option to wind them down to be softer or is it only height that I can adjust?

Last edited by Sukira; 17 February 2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 17 February 2021, 02:58 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sukira
thanks for the reply, yea the previous owner didn't have the manual/let me know how to adjust so I was left to find the info myself. Do mine being dual tech have the option to wind them down to be softer or is it only height that I can adjust?
Dual tech are 12 way dampening i think so yes you can still adjust them. on monopro the adjusters are on the bottom of the shock, so have a look on yours at the bottom, unless dual tech on top not sure. Either way counter clockwise is soft i believe and clockwise is hard, so just go fully anticlockwise on all corners and then drive for little to see how it feels and dial them in accordingly. i have mine about 4 clicks from full hard.

Hope that helps
Old 17 February 2021, 03:01 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Old 17 February 2021, 03:03 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Added two pics to show the height where it seats without too many clearance issues.
Old 17 February 2021, 03:35 PM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

damm she looking nice, speaking of exhaust I got an xforce one on mine yours?

Trending Topics

Old 17 February 2021, 04:30 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

damm she looking nice, speaking of exhaust I got an xforce one on mine yours?
Mine is toyo sports 'no thrills' exhaust but its about 70/80db so not super loud as some places for track days can be quite picky on noise.

I was considering titanium one from TOMEI but they are quite noisy sadly and dont really know much about bungs and whether they restrict exhaust movemnt.

have you got an instagram acc?
Old 18 February 2021, 06:17 AM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

looked at my coils and yea the damper adjusters are on the tops.

I assume an Instagram acc for the car, if so i don't (I probably should make one)
Old 18 February 2021, 08:34 AM
Frisco
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Filski
Added two pics to show the height where it seats without too many clearance issues.
What size rims you have on there?
Old 19 February 2021, 03:43 PM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

@Filski maybe a dumb question but if you have your at 20mm off the arch would tire pressure affect that? would it be better to measure from the coils?

Old 19 February 2021, 06:02 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

@Filski maybe a dumb question but if you have your at 20mm off the arch would tire pressure affect that? would it be better to measure from the coils?
hey

not dumb question at all I think tyre pressure would play marginal role with my gap. I run 32 psi all round.

i don’t have issue rubbing at all and I have quite small profile tyre 255 I think on 9.75 j

also my actual arches have been cut to avoid tyre slicing. So I could actually drop with wheels tucked behind the flares

when I installed my coilovers I measured the from top of the strut to bottom collar rather then off the arch and then adjusted
Old 20 February 2021, 06:00 AM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

Got another question for you @Filski For your HSD coils have you changed the pre load? if not what do you have it at right now? Just want to make sure mine aren't uneven (and I know it's up to personal preference but thought i might ask )
Old 20 February 2021, 11:44 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Got another question for you @Filski For your HSD coils have you changed the pre load? if not what do you have it at right now? Just want to make sure mine aren't uneven (and I know it's up to personal preference but thought i might ask )
hi there, JSD recommend just to tighten the spring collars so the spring does not move and leave the preloads alone unless you going Motorsport and they know what they doing with corner weights etc, otherwise preload can make your car horrid to drive.

so I did just that adjusted the colleges to sit the spring so it’s not rattling.

Old 20 February 2021, 04:36 PM
Sukira
Scooby Newbie

@Filski so I adjusted the ride height and boy it's so much better, I decided to measure from wheel centre to the top arch(aiming for 325mm front 315 back) and boy after i adjust it it's always like 1-2mm off after remeasuring. Starting to think I should just measure the coil length but then i feel like it's going to be off because of tyre being slightly different what great times haha.

What are your thoughts on it?