Notices

Bilstein dampers eichbach springs

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2017, 07:29 PM
iceicebaby1980
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bilstein dampers eichbach springs

Anyone running bilstein dampers eichbach springs on there Hawkeye wrx sti. I've currently got kW coilovers at the moment. Not overly impressed with them. I've had bc coilovers recommended and tein coilovers recommended. I can't see how they would be any better than the kws as they are a cheaper alternative. I was thinking going down the bilstein eichbach route and try to get as close to the rb320 set up as possible. As I have heard this is a good all round set up for fast road use. Any thoughts welcome
Old 18 December 2017, 08:10 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Which KWs and what is it about the handling/ride that you don't like?
Old 18 December 2017, 08:55 PM
iceicebaby1980
Scooby Regular

Hi think there kW clubsport variant 3 not 100% they were on the car when I bought definitely kW lol. The car dsnt feel planted when pushing on a bit round roundabouts etc feels a bit light footed. Not confidence inspiring. Its got all the Whiteline anti roll bars lift kit fitted bushes etc fitted aswell.
Old 19 December 2017, 08:58 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would focus on what you think is 'wrong' with your current set-up before jumping ship from the Kw's (Clubsports should perform fine)

As for Eibach's I can't think of anything worse... well, BC's maybe
Old 19 December 2017, 09:30 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by iceicebaby1980
Hi think there kW clubsport variant 3 not 100% they were on the car when I bought definitely kW lol. The car dsnt feel planted when pushing on a bit round roundabouts etc feels a bit light footed. Not confidence inspiring. Its got all the Whiteline anti roll bars lift kit fitted bushes etc fitted aswell.
Tyres/pressures, ball joints, drop-links, bushes, ARBs, damp settings, ride height, wheel alignment etc can all effect ride & handling.

KWV3s are considered one of the premium coil-over kits (admittedly more track focused than road). It's possible that the dampers are shot but before spending on new coil-overs, I'd take the car and have a full alignment done, as well as having the rest of the suspension checked out.

Also remember that suspension tuning isn't binary - simply making everything as stiff as possible (Whiteline bushes, big ARBs, hard dampers) won't automatically translate to great handling on the road. It's a balance requiring sometimes small subtle changes.
Old 19 December 2017, 09:52 AM
iceicebaby1980
Scooby Regular

Prob right about the kws should be good. I can't see myself how putting a cheaper set of coilovers would help there cheap for reason. Cars been for a wheel alignment set up the guy told me the springs were to stiff. For what I want the car for fast road use. I've tried to find out what springs are on the car had all wheels of can't find any numbers. Im going to get my pal who's got a spec c to give it a blast for me and see what he thinks. Or i will get the scooby garage were I get the car serviced to drive it aswell. Could just be me I've come from Bmw m cars. So could be just a case of getting used to Somthing different.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:27 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Clubsports are way too stiff for road use - f9.2kgf/mm r6.15kgf/mm. Their damping curve may accommodate lower rate springs?

RB320 was f4.2kgf/mm r4kgf/mm - and less than that at ride height.

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2017, 10:49 AM
iceicebaby1980
Scooby Regular

I've read good reports on the rb320 setup. I'd rather try to replicate that than put a cheap set of bc tein coilovers on the car. Knowing my luck I'll go for the bilstein dampers and eichbach springs and make the car worse lol. I'm going to try and sort things out and get the car set up well for fast road use. I've had the car 4-5 months and not bored with it at all yet. Going xmas shopping with the Mrs. Thought nice one we'll take the scooby. Then remembered I've got to pick my boys new xmas bikes up. So now going in the Vauxhall signum lol
Old 19 December 2017, 11:03 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The RB320 springs are occasionally available (Eibach made the springs to Prodrive's specs - LE07/D5/001 front LE07/D5/002 rear). But, the matching Bilstein struts are no longer made.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:38 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

have a look at pedders ezifit, good setup and not bank breaking.
Old 20 December 2017, 10:43 AM
Simon@AST
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can certainly help you out here. Our fast road setup of 5100 dampers have often been noted to offer improved ride over other kits. Running them with OE top mounts will also help to make them more compliant. We can take them from full race setup to totally street. We can recommend spring rates or can offer a custom setup if you wish.

Please do get in touch via message on here.
on email simon@ast-suspension.co.uk
or Telephone: 0117 301 2542
Old 21 December 2017, 02:27 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tidgy
have a look at pedders ezifit, good setup and not bank breaking.
Re: Pedders widetrack struts - What are the wheel centre up to metal arch (not the plastic liner) measurements? And how much fuel in the tank, when you take the measurements.

If it's difficult to get at the wheel centre (due to the wheel design), or you want to do it more accurately, use this method:

Hook the tape on the wheel rim nearest the ground. Measure vertically upwards, across the wheel centre, to the metal arch = x

Then, hook a tape on the wheel rim, measure across the wheel centre to the outer edge of the rim, on the opposite side of the wheel - divide this measurement by 2 = y (y is, obviously, the same on all 4 wheels).

x minus y = ride heights

There will probably be a 5mm, side to side, ride height difference.
Old 27 December 2017, 12:27 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 2pot
Re: Pedders widetrack struts - What are the wheel centre up to metal arch (not the plastic liner) measurements? And how much fuel in the tank, when you take the measurements.

If it's difficult to get at the wheel centre (due to the wheel design), or you want to do it more accurately, use this method:

Hook the tape on the wheel rim nearest the ground. Measure vertically upwards, across the wheel centre, to the metal arch = x

Then, hook a tape on the wheel rim, measure across the wheel centre to the outer edge of the rim, on the opposite side of the wheel - divide this measurement by 2 = y (y is, obviously, the same on all 4 wheels).

x minus y = ride heights

There will probably be a 5mm, side to side, ride height difference.
so you saying the ride height isn't set correctly becuase they arn't matched?
Old 27 December 2017, 12:19 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was just curious what ride heights the STI Pedders use; as I've never seen it measured.
Stock STI are usually 380-385mm front, 360-365mm rear.

Coil springs are normally made to a +/- 3mm variation.

So, whichever set-up is used, you've got the spring variation, plus the weight imbalance around the vehicle, plus the static gas pressure (or not) of a particular strut.

Corner weighting, with adjustable ride-height struts, still gives you uneven ride heights.
Old 31 December 2017, 12:32 PM
adam1986
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iceicebaby1980
Anyone running bilstein dampers eichbach springs on there Hawkeye wrx sti. I've currently got kW coilovers at the moment. Not overly impressed with them. I've had bc coilovers recommended and tein coilovers recommended. I can't see how they would be any better than the kws as they are a cheaper alternative. I was thinking going down the bilstein eichbach route and try to get as close to the rb320 set up as possible. As I have heard this is a good all round set up for fast road use. Any thoughts welcome

I am currently looking to change the coilovers on my Hawk STI as well. I have Bilstein B14s at the moment and am looking at going for a strut and spring combo for a more comfortable ride. Out of interest what bilstein dampers were you looking at? I cant find any that say they fit the hawk sti.
Old 31 December 2017, 02:45 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No Bilsteins available new for Hawk STI.

Hawk STI:
Pedders
Koni inserts
Feal FPS http://fealsuspensionstore.com/produ...ubaru-wrx-sti/
Try sales@wisefab.com They are (were) the European distributor of Feal USA.
Old 31 December 2017, 03:43 PM
iceicebaby1980
Scooby Regular

I took my car down to my pals garage on Friday. He's got a scooby aswell . He took it out for a drive then took it to his m8s garage got the wheels laser aligned adjusted Somthing else aswell . The steering feels completely different now . It feels more weighted in your hands more feedback . When pushing on etc . Before the steering felt really light . I'm going to stick with the kws for the moment . Never had a problem with harshnes of ride . My friend has also recommended a garage were you can get your car suspension set up properly . So will prob be getting that done in the new year . Will also be doing a couple of track days aswell . I've had loads of people tell me that's how you will get to know cars capabilities handling etc