Sti hatch prodrive springs

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2017, 10:28 AM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sti hatch prodrive springs

Hi.
I purchased some new struts for my 2008 sti hatch the other day with the intention of putting the prodrive springs from my old struts on them. When I removed the old shocks yesterday if found that the prodrive springs were in a bad condition, the black coating has peeled off most of the springs and they are very rusty. I was happy with the ride and feel of the car with the prodrive springs so was wondering if the spring could be refurbished or if I'd have to buy some more as I don't really want to put rusty spring on new struts! And can I still get prodrive springs? I'm only after the 10mm drop and can't find any other springs that achieve this!
Cheers
Old 15 January 2017, 01:37 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Powder coat them if they aren't too bad (zinc coat first), I did the same on the rear springs of mine (fronts I replaced as they weren't designed correctly i.e. too short and coils touched on full compression).

Before:

After:

Do you have a pic of them?

How much were the shocks out of interest and where did you source them from?

Last edited by fpan; 15 January 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 15 January 2017, 05:30 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Old 15 January 2017, 05:36 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

I got the new shocks from Adgespeed. £220 for both delivered. The shocks are as new, delivery miles only!
Old 15 January 2017, 06:01 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

It looks like the paint has flaked completely (same as my KW ones) but the metal underneath is solid, does wirebrushing them reveal solid metal?

I'd ask a local powder coating place their opinion, I'd try it as it only costs £50 or so.

Good price for the shocks.
Old 15 January 2017, 06:12 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
It looks like the paint has flaked completely (same as my KW ones) but the metal underneath is solid, does wirebrushing them reveal solid metal?

I'd ask a local powder coating place their opinion, I'd try it as it only costs £50 or so.

Good price for the shocks.
When I wirebrush them it is solid underneath! I'll ring round a few powder coating places tomorrow and ask! Have you got any idea where I can get the rubber bits that go round the bottom of the spring or wouldn't it matter if they weren't fitted?
Cheers
Old 15 January 2017, 07:25 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee225
When I wirebrush them it is solid underneath! I'll ring round a few powder coating places tomorrow and ask! Have you got any idea where I can get the rubber bits that go round the bottom of the spring or wouldn't it matter if they weren't fitted?
Cheers
I'd fit some sort of tube as the bottom coils are dead coils AFAIK and will touch when the vehicle is on the ground.
If you don't put anything it may clunk and the paint on the dead coils will get damaged.
Old 16 January 2017, 01:23 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
I'd fit some sort of tube as the bottom coils are dead coils AFAIK and will touch when the vehicle is on the ground.
If you don't put anything it may clunk and the paint on the dead coils will get damaged.
Got a quote to have the springs sand blasted and powder coated, £40 each at a local place! Found some tube that go over the bottom of spring to stop the clatter.
I contacted prodrive asking about new ones and they say the springs aren't made anymore.