Notices

Fast Road Suspension Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2016, 09:26 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fast Road Suspension Recommendations

Can yous recommend a decent fast road setup for a Type R. Not looking to break the bank either, just a decent setup for the road thats reasonably comfortable.

Ta
Old 24 June 2016, 10:00 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely standard. Wont get better for roads.
Old 24 June 2016, 10:11 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its 19 years old now... I want new
Old 25 June 2016, 01:21 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a total refresh of the standard suspension then get a good alignment done.
Old 25 June 2016, 05:59 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for a poster on here called "2pot" as he seems to know a helkl of a lot about Subaru suspension.

On my 98 Type R I went from the black struts to the WR Bilstein struts and P springs and it's far superior to the standard set up.

Import Car Parts are offering new red P1/STI5/6 inverted struts but not too sure if these are within your price range

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...766&searchPart

I would suggest also checking the bushes etc I've refreshed droplinks,steering rack bushes ,lateral arm/trailing arm etc
Old 26 June 2016, 10:44 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

P11L spring sets:

4 sets left, from the original 50.

P1 spring rates

Linear rate in their operational range.

Material and design updates, mean each front spring is now 600 grams lighter, than original P1's.

Longer front spring free-length (P1 v P11L below). Now allows safe usage, in struts other than kyb inverted. No dislodging at full droop.

6mm lower front ride height than P1 springs - same as the Prodrive WR97/98 front height.
A, relatively, higher rear ride height, moves the roll centre rearward, increasing rear roll resistance.
That, in turn, makes the front end roll more - helping turn-in response and reducing understeer, without the use of stiffer bars.
You want the smallest bars possible, on a road car, to avoid 'roll-rock'.
Roll-rock:
If the spring rate is relatively low and the sta bar is too stiff, a suspension movement, initially, occurring on only one side of the vehicle, will be transmitted to the other side, inducing an unsettling 'roll-rock' motion.

The P1, V5sti & V6sti had very stiff front bump stops in the Subaru/kyb inverted struts, as a form of pitch control. But, this can give a bobbing ride sensation and understeer, on anything but flat, smooth roads.
The handling can be made more neutral, again, without increasing the rear bar diameter, with shorter, progressive front stops and stiffer rear stops.

Updated bump stops are available for inverted and non-inverted dampers

P11L spring set - £235 delivered GB and NI

P1 front v P11L front

WR15R/T spring set:
If you need something stiffer, than the P11L's:
Smooth, flat roads or track days - 40N/mm front, 35N/mm rear - almost identical rates to the v5/v6 sti. Linear in their operational range.

10 sets left, of the original 25

WR15R/T spring set - £290 delivered GB and NI

P11L's + Ohlins

P11L's + agx's

WR15R/T's + agx's

P11L's + kyb inverted

P11L + excel-g + 215/45 x17 + full tank
WR15R/T + kyb inverted

Stock

P11L's

New Strut compatibility:
P11L's
Excel-g - £240
Agx setting 2/4 (equivalent to excel-g's) - £505
Agx setting 3/5 (equivalent to to Subaru inverted)
Koni adjustable inserts very smooth at lower settings - £600 + strut housing preparation
Subaru inverted - got a few sets left; £850 with updated bump stops

WR15R/T's
Agx - setting 3/5 for road use (max damper setting is 4/8)
Koni adjustable inserts - can adjust much stiffer than agx's for track days.
Subaru Inverted

Inverted struts can sit slightly higher, 5mm-ish, due to the increased static gas pressure.

Last edited by 2pot; 26 June 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 30 June 2016, 09:36 PM
nicky284
Scooby Newbie

Hi m4rkg,
Just to add on to your thread that I was in your situation a month or so ago, my cars a JDM version 6 sti, so it's got KYB inverted reds as standard and Spring rates similar to the WR15/T's. I wanted improved ride quality as my cars a daily driver but it needed to be suitable for fast road use too.

I found the standard suspension harsh and crashy for daily town and b-road driving, and pretty good once up to speed but with a tendency to get easily unsettled mid corner if the road wasn't smooth, most noticeably hitting undulations during entry at speed.

I read up on scoobynet searching for classic suspension related threads and learnt that the p1 was a JDM type r for the uk market and a common agreement amongst other Scooby drivers that the p1 suspension is a good all round compromise for uk roads.

What shocks have you got on your type r?

I'm now using P11L's on KYB inverted red struts with the revised bump stops and have done about 600 miles on them, I don't have any experience with other setups but for fast road use and comfortable daily driving there's nothing I'd change, definitely recommended.

Should also add I replaced all the drop links, arb bushes and steering rack bushes and had 4 wheel alignment done after a few weeks of install.

Message 2pot on here for details on the springs, he was invaluable to me and offered lots of good advice.
Nick
Old 03 July 2016, 07:50 PM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

Where are the above springs and shocks available from? I'm wanting to go a similar direction with my V5.
Old 04 July 2016, 11:13 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by cardinal.sin
Where are the above springs and shocks available from? I'm wanting to go a similar direction with my V5.
Hi
I've got the springs and the Subaru inverted dampers.
What combination of struts and springs are you thinking about using?
Old 04 July 2016, 11:26 AM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

TBH I was reading through your group buy thread and was sold on the P11L springs but no idea on dampers. My car is currently very track focused and I'm trying to get it back to oem-esque ride quality and grip on bumpy back roads and smooth motorways alike.
I do have the original v5 suspension but they've been sat outside for years, I never though I'd use them again. But I'm wanting new dampers anyway. What kind of price are new dampers? And are they inserted into old struts or do they replace the old ones entirely?
Old 04 July 2016, 01:53 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not sure I'd go from coilovers to P11L's. As you'll be used to the slower weight transfer, under braking, due to the stiff front spring rates on the coilovers.
The wr15r/t springs, with matching bump stops will still be much more compliant, than what you've now got.

The Subaru inverted struts I have, are complete new units, not inserts. With revised bump stops - £850. The front stops are 20mm shorter and more progressive. The rear stops are stiffer to reduce understeer, without using a bigger rear bar.

Agx struts would work with wr15's, again with the matching bump stops - I'd start on setting 3 front 5 rear (no less).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kayba-AGX-...4AAOxyi3FR3quq

P11L will also work with both of the above struts.

What size bars have you got?

Last edited by 2pot; 04 July 2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04 July 2016, 07:15 PM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

24mm f&r. Also got the Whiteline alk and bump steer correction kit.
I've got a front 22mm arb in the garage which I'm going to fit when I get the chance.