Notices

Knocking/rattling from rear coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2015, 04:21 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Knocking/rattling from rear coilovers

I have recently had a full set of HSD monopro coilovers fitted to my blob wagon.

I picked them up secondhand from someone on here, and had to replace the dust boots and springs on the rears, as one had a crack. Just after they were fitted I started to hear knocking/clunking sounds coming from the rear, and had a look on forums etc and called up Driftworks (who are the UK suppliers of HSD). First thing to check was that all locking rings were tight (they were) and that the top nuts were also tight (they were, and I used impact wrench to make sure). I didn't change any bushes/droplinks when the coilovers were fitted and the guy at the workshop said they all looked OK - though I can imagine that the stiffer springs will show up any defects eventually.

The noise is a knock/rattle when moving (whether in gear or not, whether under power or not), is not there when I first drive off, and starts after 5-10 minutes of driving, which suggests that it's not something loose. My main suspicion is the dampers themselves, which Driftworks will sell me at £110 a pop to replace, but I want to exhaust all options first.

The guy who sold them to me said they should have been still under warranty but Driftworks couldn't find his order and he hasn't been able to confirm a purchase date, so I don't hold out much hope. I'm very close to 'naming and shaming' because I've already spent nearly £100 getting these coilovers fit for purpose despite them being described as in "fully working order", and he hasn't responded to my PMs. Another couple of hundred replacing the dampers and I pretty much could have bought a brand new set for what they will have cost me!

Anyway, before I bite the bullet, does anyone have any other suggestions for what I could do to eliminate any other causes of the knocking sound (adding grease/lube somewhere?), or whether being on a wagon means they should have different/adapted top mounts or something?
Old 11 November 2015, 11:01 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have solid top mounts? My old BC RM series coilovers suffered terribly with knocking from the rear and it was down to the rose jointed pillowball top mounts knocking. It's not an actual issue with the design I was told, just how they were. Also they were designed for more track use than road use.

Anyway I was told you could buy a rubber mount that would deaden the noise and stop the rattling, however I sold the car not long after but the new owner had it sorted I'm told.

Feel your pain though, mine drove me nuts.
Old 12 November 2015, 07:16 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Rear cv joints

Hi cv joints are a possibility is I've found out on my last sti after I changed the shocks bushes diff very costly but eliminating all the possible probs is costly wish I'd checked the rear cv joints first although rear shocks and top mounts firstly as they are known all the best mate
Old 12 November 2015, 12:22 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they have camber-adjustable pillowball top mounts on front and rear. The Dualtech version have rubber top mounts at the rear, so I suppose they might be swappable.

Will check the CV joints, had one replaced on the front at the last MOT so could be they've both gone...but would they only start rattling after 5-10 mins of driving?
Old 12 November 2015, 12:44 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check those top mounts by the sounds of it. Sounds very much like my old BC issue. Obviously check everything else also.
Old 12 November 2015, 01:00 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by boggissimo
Yeah, they have camber-adjustable pillowball top mounts on front and rear. The Dualtech version have rubber top mounts at the rear, so I suppose they might be swappable.

Will check the CV joints, had one replaced on the front at the last MOT so could be they've both gone...but would they only start rattling after 5-10 mins of driving?
Hi more of a clunking type just after you've set off and even when driving that's when I replaced my top mounts shockers and rear trailing bushes also rear arb bushes and rear diff cradle bushes ouch!!! After all that noise was still there then £110 for a driveshaft 4years ago problem fixed cost me an arm and a leg but boy the car was perfect and as your keeping it it's worth it in the long run mate even if it is hit and miss your eliminating all possibilities so any other experiences always come in hand rather than going in blind
Old 12 November 2015, 09:11 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear pillowball top mounts...clicks and knocks even at low speeds, mine still do this but are inverted ones and are more track focused than road.