Notices

WRX VS STI suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2015, 12:00 AM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default WRX VS STI suspension

WRX VS STI suspension, has anyone upgraded to STI suspension? Wondered if its any lower than STI suspension.

As standard suspension feels to high up.
Old 03 August 2015, 08:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

STI suspension is crap, full stop. Also has the wrong damping rates for a WRX as the STI is heavier.

All you need is a set of PCA Dynamics springs for £200 and jobs a good un, don't go for any others as they've not had the R&D put into them and don't match the OE struts as well as the PCA Dynamics ones do. These will give you a nice even ride height, firm the car up in bends yet soak up pot holes and not compromise the ride quality.

Along with a few new Polly bushes,( steering rack, front anti roll bar ) and a geo set up, you'll have a car that sits nice, rides nice and goes round corners at silly speeds.

Only thing you should be fitting from an STI is the rear anti roll bar.
Old 03 August 2015, 10:42 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran 2003 spec OEM struts & springs on my WRX for a year and had zero problems. Granted, I do tend to have at least 50kg in the car with me at most times which would equate to the STI difference but don't let talk of the weight difference put you off. It's a better setup than the BC's, even with the softer 5/4 rates available. Wheel travel is sufficient, and the control of the STI struts in rebound is significantly better than the WRX ones which I always felt to be a little wallowy. It's about 15mm lower from memory which doesn't sound like much but it's enough to resolve any arch gaps and makes a bigger visual impact than it sounds.

Ditch does talk sense on his suggestions, but don't discount the STI kit entirely out of hand if you can get it for the right price.
Old 04 August 2015, 12:25 AM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Cheers for info. It just doesn't feel as sure footed in the bends to my classic. I would have never considered lowering springs. As had problems with them in the past.

So any other options?
Old 04 August 2015, 06:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The springs I mention were designed by Prodrive specifically for the oem WRX struts, so have had plenty of money thrown into their development, Peter @PCA used to work for Prodrive, and they were made for UK roads.

You won't go wrong with the set up I have mentioned, it's almost exactly what's on my car, bar the rear roll bar, I have a cusco roll bar brace instead, but an STI one will do the same job.

I did an awful lot of reading before I went for this set up, I'm really pleased I took the time to do the research before just jumping in, because it has definitely paid off.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 04 August 2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06 August 2015, 12:51 PM
Ash Knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
The springs I mention were designed by Prodrive specifically for the oem WRX struts, so have had plenty of money thrown into their development, Peter @PCA used to work for Prodrive, and they were made for UK roads.

You won't go wrong with the set up I have mentioned, it's almost exactly what's on my car, bar the rear roll bar, I have a cusco roll bar brace instead, but an STI one will do the same job.

I did an awful lot of reading before I went for this set up, I'm really pleased I took the time to do the research before just jumping in, because it has definitely paid off.
Will an STI rear arb fit straight on to my blob WRX? I'm looking at improving the standard suspension and I have a leaking shock so just springs isn't an option
Old 12 August 2015, 11:56 AM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers for the info.

I will look into getting some. Its just the body roll. Alot worse than the classic.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster