Notices

Lowering front subframe.

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2015, 04:04 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Lowering front subframe.

Which bolts do I need to loosen to lower the front subframe enough to change the ARB bushes? Just the 2 at the front or at the back also?

Can I do one side at a time or do I need to loosen both the left and the right side?

Finally, is it actually supporting the weight of anything above or simply bracing everything together (before I it on my face)?
Old 29 June 2015, 03:49 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 13 July 2015, 02:27 PM
MH-Racing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its the lower c frame your talking about, just do what ive done and remove it completely. Its weighs a fair bit and just rots away anyway.
The rumour is its designed to force the engine under the car in a crash? classics don't have this c frame and I don't think there's a problem with there engines going into the cabin on a collision.

Ive kept mine in the shed just incase I fail mot for not having it.
Can actually feel the difference without it.

But to answer your question, remove the 2 front bolts (under rad support) loosen all the other bolts abit to get your clearance, if you do 1 side at a time you might twist the frame.
Old 18 July 2015, 08:41 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The subframe doesn't need touching to change arb bushes
Old 18 July 2015, 10:40 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

I looked at mine (blob) and found it really tight clearance between the arb bolts on lower sub frame, especially two of the bolts, plus the bolts heads are the normal soft as butter. So for me I will remove the c frame and give it a good clean and spray up while it's off.
Phil
Old 18 July 2015, 01:39 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MH-Racing
If its the lower c frame your talking about, just do what ive done and remove it completely. Its weighs a fair bit and just rots away anyway.
The rumour is its designed to force the engine under the car in a crash? classics don't have this c frame and I don't think there's a problem with there engines going into the cabin on a collision.

Ive kept mine in the shed just incase I fail mot for not having it.
Can actually feel the difference without it.

But to answer your question, remove the 2 front bolts (under rad support) loosen all the other bolts abit to get your clearance, if you do 1 side at a time you might twist the frame.
That makes sense if the frame was a later addition. It's the only explanation for such a stupid design. I'll keep the subframe in place, as although it seems superfluous, I'd doubt that Subaru would go to the added expense of fitting parts for the fun of it (although it may have just been down to new legislation).

Also, I find it a good place to stick a jack when raising the car (awaits to be told that it's a really bad idea....)
Old 18 July 2015, 01:44 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
The subframe doesn't need touching to change arb bushes
True. I managed eventually without dropping the frame.. Access is really poor though. That, plus the stupid captive bolt design....which is great until the bolt is no longer captive and the nut gets stuck at the end.....had to cut it off and replace with a normal bolt. Only really daft design I've have come across in replacing the suspension & brakes.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2015, 01:25 AM
MH-Racing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
That makes sense if the frame was a later addition. It's the only explanation for such a stupid design. I'll keep the subframe in place, as although it seems superfluous, I'd doubt that Subaru would go to the added expense of fitting parts for the fun of it (although it may have just been down to new legislation).

Also, I find it a good place to stick a jack when raising the car (awaits to be told that it's a really bad idea....)

It would of been just keep the eu regs happy, notice the big heavy crashbar 2001 on? Just another thing to rust lol
Alloy crashbar next on the list for me.