Notices

Newage STI struts in 03 Blob Wagon - camber issue

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2015, 12:03 PM
WRX_Wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage STI struts in 03 Blob Wagon - camber issue

Hi All, perhaps someone could clarify this...

Bought a set Newage STI struts and springs to fit to my 03 Wrx wagon - rear shock was knackered and needed changing.

So, removed originals (standard WRX items) and installed the replacement STI units. I took the car for a geometry check and had issues with the front camber.
I marked the bolt orientation from the original struts, and installed as close to that as i could get on the replacement ones. However, I can get only 0.5deg neg camber on the NS, and 0 deg on the OS, despite using all the available adjustment in the OE bolts as well as taking up play when tightening.

What I've since read is that the saloons have different track, so would the hole position in the dampers be different to allow for the same range of adjustment? In which case, will a camber bolt kit from either Whiteline or Eibach give me the extra neg camber I'm after. I don't track the car, just enjoy some spirited driving, so would 1.5 deg neg maximum suffice?

Also, bushes are all standard items (I had wondered about play in bushes causing this but from what ive found it seems the dampers are the culprit here)

Advice welcomed,

Cheers
Old 16 January 2015, 10:11 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

There is one main difference between saloon and wagon front struts, the bottom 2 bolt bracket is wider by about 10mm on the saloon to account for the wider track. If you fit saloon shocks to a wagon, according to the US forums you with lose 1/2deg of neg camber, but if you fit wagon struts to saloon you gain similar amount. So it isn't recommend to fit saloon specific struts to wagon on this basis.

Wagon KYB Excel-G on left, saloon on right...

You can buy Wagon specific STi struts but they're for the Bug which is the last STi wagon. Hope this helps
Old 16 January 2015, 10:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX_Wagon
Hi All, perhaps someone could clarify this...

Bought a set Newage STI struts and springs to fit to my 03 Wrx wagon - rear shock was knackered and needed changing.

So, removed originals (standard WRX items) and installed the replacement STI units. I took the car for a geometry check and had issues with the front camber.
I marked the bolt orientation from the original struts, and installed as close to that as i could get on the replacement ones. However, I can get only 0.5deg neg camber on the NS, and 0 deg on the OS, despite using all the available adjustment in the OE bolts as well as taking up play when tightening.

What I've since read is that the saloons have different track, so would the hole position in the dampers be different to allow for the same range of adjustment? In which case, will a camber bolt kit from either Whiteline or Eibach give me the extra neg camber I'm after. I don't track the car, just enjoy some spirited driving, so would 1.5 deg neg maximum suffice?

Also, bushes are all standard items (I had wondered about play in bushes causing this but from what ive found it seems the dampers are the culprit here)

Advice welcomed,

Cheers

Are the STi struts inverted and the WRX normal?

I have a thought in my head about this.
Old 16 January 2015, 10:26 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by modrich
There is one main difference between saloon and wagon front struts, the bottom 2 bolt bracket is wider by about 10mm on the saloon to account for the wider track. If you fit saloon shocks to a wagon, according to the US forums you with lose 1/2deg of neg camber, but if you fit wagon struts to saloon you gain similar amount. So it isn't recommend to fit saloon specific struts to wagon on this basis.

Wagon KYB Excel-G on left, saloon on right...

You can buy Wagon specific STi struts but they're for the Bug which is the last STi wagon. Hope this helps

I fitted STi JDM Struts and red springs to my UK Bug wagon without any issues, I did have to change the rear top mounts to Blob saloon ones.
Old 16 January 2015, 10:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've fitted bug jdm saloon struts to a blob wagon, I had to use my top hats and some scooby921 spacers for top of rear strut as there is a shoulder difference.
No camber issues front or rear.
Old 19 January 2015, 09:31 AM
WRX_Wagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok, in hindsight I should have been more thorough before purchasing...

These are, as far as i know UK STI newage (non-wide track) struts, OE subaru red struts on the front, and KYB Ultra SRs on the rear, standard top mounts and springs.

Modrich - Thanks - the strut hole position makes sense from your comments as well as research as to why I've lost neg camber and couldn't gain any more.

Trooper - I'd have to check on the inverted question, i was so focused on trying to get the old ones off and replacement ones in at the time that i didn't check

In this case, would the aftermarket camber bolts be a reasonable solution - I don't need track biased neg camber, but some would be good! Or do i have to look at changing struts or bottom arms?

Another question then, are the rear top mounts for saloon different? i.e. do they have a different strut offset resulting in different camber or ride height or are they the same? They fitted up with no issues as well.

Appreciate all the help