3D 4 wheel allignment

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2014, 02:25 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3D 4 wheel allignment

Hi guys,

About to get some new tyres fitted to the wagon. I have noticed the inside edge of the front left has been heavily chewed up. I was intending to just get tracking done as per usual but then got to thinking it has some suspension alterations.
Prodrive 18 inch wheels and prodrive springs on KYB Ultra SR shocks.
I have also fitted Whiteline roll bars front and rear.
To get the most from this would it be a good idea to have full 3D 4 wheel alignment done over the standard tracking?

If so any recommendations around my area? Milton Keynes
and any suggested settings to request when being done?

Thanks
Fuzz
Old 07 October 2014, 08:59 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracking is only to adjust the toe settings to get your steering wheel and front wheels aligned. If you've had suspension work done, especially lowering springs, you will need camber/toe front and rear and thrust angle adjusted. The Prodrive springs come with specific geo settings for these to get the most out of the setup (let me know if you need them).

BTW, the wear on the inside front tyre is more than likely because the toe setting (or tracking) is out on that side.

Last edited by modrich; 07 October 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08 October 2014, 10:06 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Hi Modrich, This is the issue. I did not fit the Prodrive springs but I did fit the Roll bars and the new shocks. (shocks due to the usual knocking noise) as such I have no idea if the camber etc. has been adjusted accordingly in the 1st instance.

Removing hands from wheel while going along and it goes in a straight line.. however if getting new tyres I think it best if I have it checked.
If you could supply me with the recommended setup for the Prodrive springs it would be appreciated.
Am I likely to need camber adjusting bolts or does the drive train have enough adjustment for them to not be required?

thanks,
Old 08 October 2014, 10:41 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate, if you've replaced struts/shocks then at the very least the camber will be out. I would get the new tyres fitted then get the geo done as soon as possible. The Prodrive/PCL Dynamics geo settings are achievable without camber bolts, but some inexperienced mechanics might struggle or wimp out if becoming a bit of a fiddle so persist with them!

05-07 WRX with Prodrive/PCL Dynamics springs fitted are:

Front camber (set to max) -1.00deg

Front caster not adjustable

Front Toe (total) 0.05deg

Rear camber not adjustable

Rear toe (total) 0.05deg

Thrust angle +/- 0.03deg

Protyre in Warwick is the company that Peter at PCA Dynamics (ex Prodrive engineer) uses which isn't a million miles away from you and they are experienced in doing Prodrive settings on Subarus.

Hope this helps
Old 08 October 2014, 11:01 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Helps a great deal.. many thanks for the info. will get tyres on asap as MOT in a few weeks.
As it is a little close to home I will contact these guys http://www.jpsmotorsport.com/ and get their thoughts on doing it.

thanks again.