Notices

(AST) Coilovers on swapped GC

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2014, 06:57 PM
nikkemcrae
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (AST) Coilovers on swapped GC

I have a strange problem fitting coilovers on my swapped MY00 GC.
Here is a short summary of whats on the car:
JDM Sti V9 Engine and transmission, rear diff, rear axles hubs and brakes around. In front I have GD controlarms which widens the front trackwidth and axles + hubs supposed from a JDM Sti V7.

When first swapped I had already coilovers on the car. STD R5 coilovers. I had to cut them because the newage driveshafts where bigger than GC. This is how I run the car now and I can understand, because they where ordered for GC.

But I have just bought a nice set of AST 5100. These are the inverted coilover type = the **** for the rebound is in the bottom and it interferes with the driveshaft boot when suspension is unloaded. With wheels on the ground it clears, but not with much. This is also with very little camber, with more it gets closer.
The adjustment **** is fixed and is not affected when lowering or raising the car. The heightadjustment on AST is done by compressing/decompressing a helperspring.

AST is telling me that the suspension outer leg are the same for GC and GD, no reports on this before.
Anyone here running AST 5100 or similar on their GD? Any problems with the ****?

I could go back to GC driveshafts, they are supposed to fit. Hubs are same as GC? But I rather use the GD driveshafts, they seems stronger.
Anyone have any ideas?

One idea that came up is maybe CV boots have been mixed up or maybe driveshafts is aftermarket?

Maybe there are more slim CV boots available?

Another way is to modify the coilovers so that the **** gets inside the housing. I've asked AST about this, but their customerservice isnt great.
I first ordered the AST legs in March, got them in JULY and have been trying to get their help with this since.

Any clues, ideas or similar stories are welcome.
Any owners of AST 5-series on GD's?

Last edited by nikkemcrae; 20 September 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 23 January 2015, 05:55 PM
nikkemcrae
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one have any ideas?

Btw, the word that is being censored in previous post is k.n.o.b, adjustment wheel.

There must be someone here running inverted AST 5-series/sportline on GD.
AST isn't helping much, but they have been researching some and admit that they've heard about same problem on another car and say that the car was using rare axles (04-05).

As you can see on the above Pictures, the driveshafts I am using is from JDM STI V7 (01-02).

Is it correct that all newage driveshafts is longer? Or is it only +05?

Maybe there are some aftermarket axels that fits better? Like J&R?

Also wondering if V8 (03-04) axels have more slim outher cv-boots?