Will 03 STI springs fit on a 05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2014, 11:26 AM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 03 STI springs fit on a 05 WRX

Couple of questions:

1. Will springs from a 53 plate STI fit a 55 plate WRX? Top hats the same?

2. The STI sits 15mm lower than the WRX, does this mean when fitted my WRX will sit 15mm lower than it does currently? (STI springs are shorter? such that the car will not end up sitting higher as the spring rates are higher and the car is lighter than an STI)

I have KYB Ultra SR shockers on the rear and stock oem struts on the front, so I imagine I will have to change the front shockers soon if I swap the springs over.

Cheers.

Last edited by DTVHSR; 31 August 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02 September 2014, 01:20 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure the rear STI top mounts are different
Old 02 September 2014, 01:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to read ALL of the posts on this thread before making a decision of Fitting STI springs to a WRX.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...mited-run.html

Last edited by ditchmyster; 02 September 2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 26 September 2014, 08:27 AM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses and apologies for the mental late reply.

I've had a read through the thread ditch, thanks.

I got these springs for nothing so was hoping to use them if possible, and if they are too harsh/bumpy a ride I'll just swap them back.

So from what I can see, it looks like the top hats on the 03 sti are longer? So if I try to use the springs on an 05 it will probably make the springs knock as they are not fully compressed when fitted to the strut?
Old 28 September 2014, 11:26 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have STI Prodrive springs and STI KYB ultra shocks all round and the ride is not harsh at all. I used STI top mounts but as I said I think it's only the rear top mounts that are different.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:39 AM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Springs. There is so much more to it.........Firstly. Not only is the top mount shape important but the free length, rate, and coilbound length all important. Swapping O.E. springs from model to model is relatively safe, as the parts should be either interchangeable if it's safe, or not if not. Subaru didn't want you fitting Widetrack STi parts to non Widetrack cars....They know we fiddle and design to allow this.

Anyway, The STi springs are themselves quite soft, with the long bump stops doing most of the support at compression. If you fit STi springs, make sure you get the right Bump stops!!!

Prodrive sold their own Bump Stops to match their springs, and you can get them still I believe..
Old 02 October 2014, 01:06 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
I have STI Prodrive springs and STI KYB ultra shocks all round and the ride is not harsh at all. I used STI top mounts but as I said I think it's only the rear top mounts that are different.
Nice one, thanks for the info, good to know
Just need to get my hands on some 02/03 sti top hats.

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Springs. There is so much more to it.........Firstly. Not only is the top mount shape important but the free length, rate, and coilbound length all important. Swapping O.E. springs from model to model is relatively safe, as the parts should be either interchangeable if it's safe, or not if not. Subaru didn't want you fitting Widetrack STi parts to non Widetrack cars....They know we fiddle and design to allow this.

Anyway, The STi springs are themselves quite soft, with the long bump stops doing most of the support at compression. If you fit STi springs, make sure you get the right Bump stops!!!

Prodrive sold their own Bump Stops to match their springs, and you can get them still I believe..
Yeah, I've done a fair bit of reading, it's not just a simple case of swap to a higher spec item and things will be better.

I decided to take the suspension off and check out exactly what was different for myself.

Turns out the 02/03 sti springs have 1 extra coil but the part that makes the difference is the coil terminates nearly 180 degrees further round than the WRX spring, thus the top hat for the newer models will definitely not fit, amongst other hieght variations, etc etc.

Will check the bump stops out, cheers bud.