2003 WRX Front end Numb and loose

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2014, 03:10 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 WRX Front end Numb and loose

Hi,

I've been noticing recently that the front end on my car is starting to progressively feel worse.

I'm getting a clunk from both sides over bumps when the strut has to compress a fair amount, or on short sharp bumps.

I'm getting a slight wheel shimmy at high speeds ( 85+ ) which gets worse when applying the brakes, but its not consistant and comes and goes.

Steering "Feel" has got worse, for instance I get great feel from the drivers side wheel, but a really numb feeling from the passenger side front as if the shock is dead and the wheel has no resistance ( the shock bounces fine).

The steering feels ok dead ahead and there is no play, but during hard cornering it feels as though something steering related is moving about when the load is put through it?

Changing lanes the car pulls around a fair amount and is worse on the passenger side.

The car is just under 70k miles, has prodrive springs (blue), recently replaced Whiteline Drop links front and rear. Other than that stock.

I've had it in the air and pulled it about, I think there is slight play in the passenger side inner tie rod, outer doesn't move. The bottom ball joints seem solid too.

I was thinking about replacing the inner and outer tie rods both sides and fitting some uprated steering rack bushes?

Thanks