Notices
Subaru Parts This forum contains Subaru parts offered for sale by our members only.

Pro built ej25

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2011, 11:51 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro built ej25

I'll be honest, I don't want to do this .... needs must though so, For sale is my professionally built ej25 engine complete with all ancillaries (except boost controller and dump valve), clutch and Autronics sm4 ecu.

It was built back in 2006 by Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon while Rob Gallagher was there and I still have the original invoice showing £12,716.53 was spent on it. In actual fact, there was around another £1000 in cash for the head work that never went on the invoice too. For those that recognise Rob's name, it was also mapped by him.

The engine was run in properly and is good as gold to the best of my knowledge but barely made it past being run in before other problems with the car saw it being moth-balled on my driveway for considerable time and only being fired up and left to run for a bit now and then. Short version would be - down to poor workmanship on a repair to rear geometry of the car carried out by a different company (unsurprisingly the company is no longer doing this kind of work), I ended up stripping a pair of toyos in the 2500 miles the engine was being run in! At that point the car came off the road while I stripped and repaired the damage underneath myself. Since it was apart, it made sense to do all the bushes at the same time but that then left me too skint to get the car back on the road! I eventually managed to get it back on the road in time for Rob's memorial run but the night before the run, a change into 5th gear on the still standard RA 5 speed box saw me limping it home and using it the following day as a 4 speed! Since then it's been sat on my driveway again waiting for a new gearbox.

The reason for it's sale is genuine - I'm totally fecking skint so I realistically can't afford to keep the engine since I can't justify spending the money on the 6-speed gearbox, the larger injectors and the bigger turbo I'd always planned on doing!

The engine itself is currently making 298bhp (pic below) and just over 300lb/ft (from memory) on stock injectors and a stock but ported turbo with a 'safe' map put in by Rob. It was set up for the running in period with no boost controller and with the wastegate of the turbo deliberately held open to try and avoid the turbo doing anything while it was being run in but by the time you reach around 4k in 2nd with the RA box the engine flows enough to spool the turbo up anyway! Robs comment when he mapped it was : "I can't stop the f*ckin thing from spooling up - it's an animal!"

This engine is not a run of the mill ej25 chuck in - it was planned to deliver serious power at high boost and I spent serious money on it to get it there - all the right bits have been done (head work, forged internals, stud kit, re-honed etc) ... I just ran out of money and credit before I could do the last few steps! The engine is currently still fitted in the car and can be seen / heard running but obviously that's by arrangement only.

Pricewise I'm looking for around £8000 which may seem a lot but please consider that this is pretty much a 'ready-to-go drop-in' conversion that cost me pretty much £14k to build. With that in mind, whilst I will consider offers, please don't pm me with silly ones - I'll still be paying this off long after the engine is in someone elses car!!!!

pics :

NOTE : Please bare in mind, the pics of the engine above are from when it was built - since it's spent way too long standing, it doesn't look as shiney anymore!

Also, anyone with serious interest please feel free to pm me for contact details to discuss the original invoice - it spans on to two pages so don't really want to spend hours typing it on here
Old 17 June 2011, 04:35 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

price drop bump - £7500 ono
Old 17 June 2011, 07:11 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Think a build spec would be a good pointer for potential buyers....

What version heads?
What internals?

Spooks
Old 19 June 2011, 07:23 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sp00ks
Think a build spec would be a good pointer for potential buyers....

What version heads?
What internals?

Spooks

Fair comment Spooks and thanks to Arch too who suggested similar via a pm. So, some build details ...

The engine is built on a true ej25 short block that was imported from the states at the time since they were hard to come by over here at that point. It was also honed before being built up.

The heads are from the original ej20 engine (the car is a jdm '96 wrx sti type ra v-ltd) and have been skimmed, ported and polished.

It's running 1.6mm headgaskets, acl bearings for main and big end and, to the best of my knowledge it's running forged pistons and con rods (the original invoice doesn't state a make and it's been too long to remember but I paid around £1500 for the rods and pistons at the time). Also has ARP head studs and as you'd expect, all the gaskets and belts etc were also new with the build.

The guys at Perfect Touch were confident at the time that the engine would make reliable 500+bhp and be able to cope with around 2bar of boost assuming the right injectors and turbo were fitted but it was at that point that I ran out of cash and credit

I believe the clutch is an Exedy triple plate with lightened flywheel and the ecu is an Autronic sm4 with a 'safe' map already put on by Rob.

That's about all I can get together from the invoice and memory so I hope that's good enough for now