Notices
Subaru Parts This forum contains Subaru parts offered for sale by our members only.

Andy Forrest Hybrid TD04

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2021, 10:46 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Andy Forrest Hybrid TD04

*****NO LONGER FOR SALE*****
This is now being rebuilt for my own use- you snooze you lose

Andy Forest Hybrid TD04 for sale

I bought this used a while back from someone who had dyno printouts of it on their Impreza. I don't need to explain too much what these are and how well regarded they are and AFP are in general. From Andy's website:

"AFP4H– is based on a TD04 this is available new or fully re-manufactured on an exchange basis. It is fitted with a new high efficiency, high flow rate compressor wheel and compressor housing which is capable of maintaining the fast spool up rate typically associated with the TD04 but with the ability to run higher boost efficiently over a wider rpm band. This turbo has been tested to levels in excess of 320lbft and 320bhp. With full boost still coming in as low as 2500rpm on a 2.0"

Also, it is gold- what's not to love?

I was planning to fit this to my 2.0 WRX but I've talked myself into having a freshly-built turbo. It is my daily driver and I've been gathering bits for it and sorting the car out for a couple of years now, so I just want everything 100% spot-on and new. It makes sense to start a fresh build from any old TD04 rather than pulling apart one of these, especially as they're no longer available new.

Obviously not having run this myself, I can't say with certainty that it's fine, having said that the previous owner supplied dyno printouts, and it'll likely be lower miles than many second-hand TD04s you can buy. The compressor wheel does show some signs of use but it does spin freely. It also needs the studs removing (as usual) and also a pipe end is damaged which could either be bashed back out or easily replaced with new.

There are pictures in this advert, and I'm happy to take more. Ideally the buyer would collect from Leicestershire (not far off the A5) so that they can inspect it in person, but I am happy to post it at cost with decent postage that is tracked and insured only so that we're both covered and happy, although this is SOLD AS SEEN.

As they're no longer available new, and it is untested by me, I'm not 100% sure on pricing for this- building a freshly machined hybrid TD04 from some of the leading UK companies seems to run you easily towards £550-600.

I think £300 is fair? They're not easy to get hold of and I spent a considerable amount of time looking. I'm happy to listen to reasonable offers from serious buyers.

Last edited by RetroPug; 19 May 2021 at 10:52 AM. Reason: No longer for sale
Old 01 May 2021, 02:01 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Potential bargain for someone at that price, and an excellent real world turbo for a wrx glws
Old 02 May 2021, 08:05 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice add, an honest assessment.
Old 19 May 2021, 10:59 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This is no longer for sale- I am having it rebuilt and I will now use it.
It turns out that as some machining has already been done, it is cheaper to rebuild this into a hybrid TD04 than starting fresh.

For anyone interested in modified TD04s Craig Bellworthy of Rally Aspects has built a TD04 that he is hoping to test on an engine soon that he reckons might see 340-350hp with the correct supporting mods.
This isn't the specification I have gone for, but interesting nonetheless!
The following 2 users liked this post by RetroPug:
Old 19 May 2021, 01:32 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I was going suggest you just have this rebuilt with new seals but didn't want to **** on your sale.

It's already running a 19t wheel, no? Or are you planning on using a 20t compressor?
Old 22 May 2021, 02:05 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Can't you just buy a T19 kit for £400