Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

2004 (Blobeye) WRX PPP saloon, with LPG conversion

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2016, 11:18 PM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 (Blobeye) WRX PPP saloon, with LPG conversion

SOLD SOLD

Hi all!

I am selling my MY04 WRX, I drove it daily for 4+ years but now have a new commuting car (a Leaf, sorry!) and am looking for something a little more flexible as a 2nd/backup car.

Firstly I have a album full of photos here - as I was resizing them I realised I forgot to unfold the side mirror that the car wash folded in - annoying!

http://imgur.com/a/fJ3lz

The previous owner listed the car for sale here, along with a thread detailing the LPG conversion process. It has a Romano N LPG system with an 80 litre tank in the boot, the filler located below a hinged number plate:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...x-ppp-lpg.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...kunkworks.html

LPG System

The Impreza had 88,000-ish miles on the clock when I bought it, and it now has just over 131,000. As mentioned in the other threads, the engine was overhauled by API at 82,000-ish miles (after a crankshalf failure) and the LPG conversion was fitted shortly after that. The system was installed by mintLPG as part of the previous owner attending a training course, ie. they assisted the conversion, therefore it has been done to a high standard. Testament is that I have had no issues with the system, other than a small stalling issue mentioned below. I have basically filled it with LPG and Flashlube for 40,000 miles and saved £thousands. On performance - the Romano system meters petrol into the engine to take up any slack, so it is impossible to tell the difference between the fuels. This means that if you drive the car hard it will use a lot of petrol, but generally it will only use it when warming up or accelerating hard.

Condition

Now, at 131,000 miles and 12 years old there will be a few issues. It has been a daily driver for me and not 'babied' as such, so if you are looking for a 'mint' car please move along . To be honest I think with some TLC to the paintwork and wheels and a good clean in the engine bay it could look really decent.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of the niggles and bad points I can remember - I'm listing these because I know how frustrating it can be to look at a car and have somebody say "by the way..."

- The rear suspension 'pops' at low speeds, this is very common on Imprezas of this year and has been something I have just lived with. Apparently there are some short-lived fixes (silicone spray etc) but the only long-term solution is to fit coilovers.
- Occasionally, mostly in cold weather, the engine will stall when falling to idle when the engine is cold (eg. when pulling up to the first traffic light). You can tell when it's about to happen though and a bit of gas or lifting the clutch will stop it. I think this might be just the LPG freezing in the vapouriser, but it has never annoyed me enough to fiddle with the switchover temperature. All the software to tinker with the settings.
- Surface Scratches around the arches and bumpers, one along the rear door/petrol cap area - all will be from branches/hedges.
- Slight dent along with a scratch on the offside rear passenger door, I have marked it in a photo, nothing major but I thought it is worth mentioning, I hadn't noticed it until taking the photo.
- Paint cracking and a bit of rust on the lower front wing near the bumper
- Small chip/rust spot on rear pillar
- What I believe is the a/c pulley has been making a racket for a few months, I haven't had time to sort this yet. I've had time to look at this and the a/c idler pulley was worn out, a new one is on order and both belts will be replaced soon.
- The front tyres are wearing on the outside (needs alignment) and will need replacing soon.
- There are two keys, but only one disables the immobiliser (the second unlocks but doesn't start the engine). I *think* it just needs the second key programming into the ECU, possibly it was deactivated when the PPP upgrade was flashed?

MOT'd until December.

A tracker is fitted but it never made financial sense for me to subscribe to it.

Work done

The car comes with a Subaru service history up until the engine rebuild, then the previous owner and myself have been doing DIY maintenance, with a few things by garages. I had the plugs changed a couple of years ago by Euro Spec 2000, and they did a few other things. I have done regular fluid/filter changes myself. The radiator was replaced by myself a few years ago (full aluminium replacement). The front discs and pads were replaced in Dec 2014 with slotted rotors from Godspeed Brakes.

I have made no specific performance upgrades.

The interior is in pretty good condition, all the ***** and switches work, the a/c blows nice and cold. I don't have photos of the interior because it needs vacuuming/tidying.

Price: I haven't kept up with values but doing some research I think £2,750 is a fair price taking into account the so-so condition and lack of recent paperwork.

The car is in Farnborough, Hampshire, very close to the train station. Please PM if you need more details/photos or would like to view. Test drives are welcome, but I'll need to see a driving licence and insurance certificate that has 'driving other vehicles' cover.

Last edited by Gareth79; 11 May 2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: sold
Old 03 May 2016, 11:08 PM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

Bump, still available. I have finally made time to look at the noisy a/c belt, turns out it was just the idler pulley - the bearing was shot. I have ordered a replacement and will replace the belts when fitting it.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:31 PM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

Annnnnd... sold to a ScoobyNet member!
Old 04 July 2016, 03:17 PM
Ap83
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys I'm just about to buy a 2002-2005 wrx, preferably a wagon and would like to LPG it as I will have the car for 5 years or so. Could you advise which LPG fitter to use please? Or if you know of someone looking to sell please shout out. Many thanks. AP