Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

1997 Subaru Impreza STi Version 3 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2015, 07:42 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Subaru Impreza STi Version 3 Wagon

Well after being Impreza-less for over 5 years, I couldn’t stay away and after looking at a seemingly never ending string of abused, rusty, poorly modified Classic Imprezas… I bought myself this unmolested, factory original example of an STi. The car was imported from Japan in 2008 and was converted to MPH and completely undersealed for UK roads. The car has only had two previous enthusiast owners in the UK and one owner in Japan.

The quick guide to the car is:

1997 Subaru Impreza STi Version 3 Wagon
Mica Black
MOT until end of July 2015
98500 miles
Factory Original
Rust Free
Two Keys and Two Alarm Fobs
Extensive service history and A4 folder with receipts for everything bought/carried out on the car, the more important highlights are:

20/07/2008 and 58247 Miles: DVLA Registration and Speedometer conversion to read in MPH. At the same time, a service and inspection was carried out with all certification for this in history file.
22/01/2009 and 63067 Miles: Serviced with Cambelt and Pulley being replaced at this point.
27/05/2009 and 65755 Miles: Full Service.
27/06/2009 and 66092 Miles: Water Pump was found to be slightly noisey and replaced.
16/03/2010 and 71098 Miles: Full Service including replacement spark plugs.
04/05/2011 and 78850 Miles: Full Service including replacement brake fluid.
24/08/2012 and 86657 Miles: New Cambelt/Pulley along with new oil for the Engine, Differential and Gearbox. Coolant flush and replacement. New set of NGK grade 7 spark plugs also fitted.
02/02/2013 and 91000 Miles: Full set of OEM-spec KYB shocks fitted, with a full 4-wheel laser alignment after.
01/06/2013 and 92465 Miles: Full Service.
01/12/2014 and 98200 Miles: Full Service. New Exedy Clutch and Lightened Flywheel fitted at the same time.
08/02/2015 and 98400 Miles: Replacement Lambda Sensor and Exhaust Centre Section.

The STI red top engine is absolutely standard (which is partly what attracted me to the car) so retains the original CAT/exhaust system, turbo, intercooler, ECU, etc. It starts first time, every time and is warmed up and cooled down as required to protect the engine and turbo. It is very smooth and the car has always been treated to Millers 10w40 full synthetic oil and genuine Subaru filters… it has also been run exclusively on Shell Optimax/V-Power and Tesco 99RON since import. The gearbox has no issues selecting gears, the short throw is precise and complimented by the new Exedy organic clutch and lightened, balanced flywheel.

The interior is how Subaru intended, apart from the addition of a Sony CD/Radio headunit and a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobilizer. Seats are in good condition; no rips, tears, ruined bolsters or excessive wear. It also has the ultra rare STI carbon fibre speedo/tacho surround fitted too, which is a nice wee touch.

The bodywork on the car is as it left the production line, apart from wind deflectors, which I don't think were standard fitment. It's in great condition and has no rust, even on the notorious rear arches. It has a few marks from inconsiderate car doors and it has seen a little paint, but after all, the car HAS just turned 18yrs old and covered 98k miles, haha.

As you can see, the car still wears its original 16” gold alloy wheels, which have a set of matching Bridgestone tyres on them. The sills and the underneath are rust free due to a comprehensive underseal treatment upon arrival to the UK.

The photos aren’t the greatest since they’re taken with my phone, so I have also recorded a video of the car which I hope gives you an idea of the condition of the car… I would advise watching without volume up, it was pretty windy when recording!!

It is not a concours example, but I’m not asking concours money for it and in my opinion, with a little work, it wouldn’t actually take too much to get up to that sort of level.

After all the hassle I had finding a decent Classic, this is genuinely a reluctant sale... however, I have been offered the opportunity to buy a car which I’ve had a soft spot for since my friend bought it; that is the ONLY reason that this car is for sale.

Please don’t come and waste my time, I’ve tried to be as honest and comprehensive as I can be with the advert to put off tyre-kickers and dreamers who expect immaculate blemish free cars for ASBO motors money.

Also, I’d rather the ‘how much for cash’ brigade didn’t get in touch either because firstly, how else were you going to pay for it?! Secondly, being an old fashioned guy, I think you should actually view a car before trying to negotiate any money off and finally, in my experience, those folk tend to be the biggest messers out there.

If you are keen on buying and live some distance away, then I’m happy to collect you from the local bus/train station or airport in Dundee if that helps.

Price for the car is £3350.

Last edited by RS Grant; 11 February 2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11 February 2015, 08:49 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Good advert and nice to see a un-abused example!!!

Is that a standard exhaust I can see Never seen a standard exhaust on a classic before
Old 11 February 2015, 10:55 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much mate... that was pretty much my reaction when I viewed the car too!! Couldn't actually remember the last time I physically saw a standard Classic Turbo/WRX/STi before this, plus, the guy I bought it off clearly loved the car and babied it. I think it did ~800 miles between it's last MOTs!!

I forgot to mention it in the original post, but it'll be going into RA Motorsport in Perth to get a new speedo converter and speedo cable fitted once they're able to fit me in. The converter is goosed and there is a very slight waver in the needle at low (sub 20mph) speeds, which they told me is because the cable is looking a bit worn, so they're both getting replaced.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 11 February 2015, 11:19 PM
Captainfunbags
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice example chap GLWTS
Old 15 February 2015, 02:50 PM
BackinBlack
Scooby Newbie

Looks nice, PM sent.
Old 15 February 2015, 08:15 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Love this wagon.
Old 15 February 2015, 08:31 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good advert and looks like a good buy

Trending Topics

Old 15 February 2015, 10:50 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

How long u owned this? Saw it for sale on ebay recently? Was that you or have u just bought it?
Old 20 February 2015, 12:26 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the interest, the car sold to the first viewer. Just waiting to arrange collection.

Yeah I've not had the car very long, a few weeks at most. But after bringing it home, I discovered that my friend was thinking about selling his V6 Limited... which I'd been a huge fan of since he bought it as a fresh import, so decided to sell the Black V3 and buy the Blue V6.

...I will update the thread once it's been collected.

Cheers,
Grant