Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

MY97 Classic UK Turbo - a nice one!

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2014, 10:27 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY97 Classic UK Turbo - a nice one!

Hi All,

I’m reluctantly selling my much loved Impreza in order to allow me to fully commit to cycling.

Firstly this is not your usual classic, the car has been enthusiast owned from day one and has only had three owners including myself, the first for five years before part exchanging it with the supplying dealer, where the second owner bought it and kept it for 10 years, meaning when I purchased it a little over a year ago it hadn’t been sold outside of the supplying dealer before.

Both original owners maintained the car regardless of cost (which I’ve continued!), especially the gent who owned the car for 10 years, he created an Excel spreadsheet detailing all the services the car had and when they were next due in both time and mileage and updated this religiously, maintaining 6 month oil services and yearly diff oil changes throughout the cars life. When I bought the car everything had been done just a few months before in the February of 2013, from spark plugs to diff oil and cambelt. All the paperwork is present to back up the sheet along with every invoice from the very start apart from the original purchase invoice, I will also pass on a contact number for the previous owner.

I have every handbook as you would expect and two keys.

The car was very original when purchased (bar a few choice upgrades), right down to the original cassette player head unit! I’ve looked to maintain the originality of the car and therefore have been very selective of the upgrades I’ve carried out.

Basics;
Model: UK Impreza Turbo
Year: 1997
Mileage: 102,000 (all docs to back this up – works out around 6k a year)
Prev. Owners: 3

Security:
Meta CAT 1 alarm fitted with certificate (important for insurance companies!), I have both fobs.
Tracker fitted by second owner with folder and all documents, not currently active but I assume would be simple to re-subscribe if you wished.

Bodywork:
Mica Green, colour coded side skirts and rear hockey sticks, low level rear spoiler, STi type fog lamp covers with STi decals (original unmarked foglights with Subaru covers also included), smoked front indicators and side repeaters, STi type UK rear badge, mini mudflaps.

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes:
Genuine RAYS TE37 16” wheels from a V6 STi Type RA, refurbed in graphite, and in superb condition, 225/45 Yokohama Advan AD08’s all round
Eibach Sportline springs
STi alloy lower arms with new ball joints
Whiteline anti lift kit
Super Pro front drop links
Wheel alignment done last month
Front strut brace
Black Diamond discs and pads all round
5mm hub-centric spacers

Engine/Gearbox:
Original engine, original gearbox, original turbo and original clutch! Which probably speaks for itself as to how this cars been treated, always warmed up and cooled down properly, and as I understand it from the last owner never ran on anything else but super unleaded in his ownership, I’ve only used momentum or v power, it runs and performs extremely well with no issues.

Some sensible modifications as follows;

Green panel air filter
Airbox resonator delete
Prodrive ECU – both keys coded accordingly
Magnex resonated 2.5” system with secondary decat pipe (still has catted downpipe fitted so MOT’s are no issue)
Walbro 255 fuel pump
STi intercooler Y pipe with silicone hoses
Hardrace full engine mount kit, including engine mounts, gearbox mount and pitch mount, probably the best upgrade on the car, massive improvement as to how the car feels from the drivers seat, but very little additional noise or vibration from the drivetrain, passengers would never notice.

A quick note on the sound given that it’s an important part of any Impreza.. personally for a lightly modified car I think this set up is hard to beat, the exhaust isn’t what you’d call quiet, but at the same time it isn’t over the top, and never drones, making the car a more than quiet enough at cruising speeds. Matched to the resonator delete/green panel which greatly increases induction noise/turbo spool the car has a nice balance of exhaust and engine/turbo, I hear so many Impreza’s with silly loud exhausts which totally dominate everything else and seem to lose the offbeat burble in the process.

Interior:
Original apart from STi steering wheel from a bug, original steering wheel included, no tacky gearnobs or dodgy gauges. Stereo is original radio/cassette player. All in good condition, slight wear to drivers bolster but no holes, rear seats fold down which is handy.

All the mechanical/suspension work I’ve had carried out, which includes the alloy lower arms, ball joints, drop links, ALK, Prodrive ECU, fuel pump, engine mounts, oil service etc, has been done by Paul @ Extreme Scoobies in Chelmsford as I wanted to maintain the documentation and history upheld by the previous owners.

A quick calculation shows I’ve spent pretty much the asking price in maintenance and mods since owning the car, which I hope goes some way to showing how I’ve looked after it.

Moving on to the inevitable on pretty much all classics.. rust.

I’ve not buried my head in the sand when it comes to rust on this car, in fact I’ve actively gone looking for it, thankfully the body services were carried out thoroughly which has saved it from the sort of corrosion I’ve seen on others. Even so during the last MOT in September I had welding carried out on all four corners of the sills, I then removed both bumpers to allow proper inspection of the bits you can’t see, the front end required no more than a rub down and paint of the bumper bar, where the rear was even better with the slam panel and rear bumper bar in excellent condition, with just some light sanding and treatment of surface rust required to the corner sections of the rear valance, once I got to this stage I thought I may as well carry on, which lead to removing the spoiler for inspection of the boot lid, stripping the boot trim to inspect and treat the inner rear arches from the inside, and rubbing down both rear wheel arch housings, which were then treated to a rust preventative primer, stone chip, body colour top coat and lacquered. The fuel filler pipe was also rubbed down and painted at this stage.

Finally I had the front bumper, both front wings and passenger rear quarter painted.

The car will come with a full MOT, fresh aircon regas and the remainder of the road tax (about 4 months) if the asking price is met.

Of course the car is not perfect, there are a few marks/car park dings as you’d expect, and as with any car of this age there’s always something you can find to do, it does have some stone chips to the bonnet, the top dash storage compartment also needs fixing, but overall it’s very presentable and ready to be used and enjoyed, a great example of a very genuine car.

At the end of the day it needs to be seen and driven, any seriously interested parties are more than welcome to come and see it/go through the paperwork over a cuppa etc!

Just to be clear, the price is the price, I haven’t marked it up to get knocked down, and I won’t entertain offers below this from people who haven’t even seen the car, nor am I overly interested in people’s opinions on what they feel it’s worth, so please can I ask those who are not genuinely interested to refrain from wasting both mine and your own time with silly offers and needless comments.

If you have any questions or would like to come and see the car don’t hesitate to contact me, I’m going to advertise it here only for a couple of days to give any interested scoobynet members a chance, after which it’ll go on Pistonheads as well.

I’m located in Manningtree, Colchester, Essex.

Price: £2850

Some pics below, more and better ones to follow!

Old 02 August 2014, 10:46 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Any luck with sale?
Old 02 August 2014, 02:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Great car, great well written and informative ad..... can't see this being here for long!
Old 02 August 2014, 02:40 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

glwts
Old 02 August 2014, 02:56 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sensible price for a great unmolestered car. It shouldn't hang around for long if any serious buyers can appreciate a tidy classic. Hate the chavved up, banged about £1500 classic Subaru's often for sale these days.

GLWTS .
Old 02 August 2014, 07:36 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments guys, car is still here, I've not advertised it anywhere else yet, haven't been able to bring myself to do it lol, but guess I'll need to stick it on pistonheads eventually.

Some more pics..

Old 02 August 2014, 09:37 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Looks good mate
Old 02 August 2014, 09:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 328isport
Cheers for the comments guys, car is still here, I've not advertised it anywhere else yet, haven't been able to bring myself to do it lol, but guess I'll need to stick it on pistonheads eventually.
Be patient, someone will come along for it on here I am sure of it. It's too nice to be hanging around for long.
Old 03 August 2014, 02:49 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I find people are very impatient when it comes to selling Impreza's and break them way to fast, I sold a impreza some years ago on piston heads only got one person contact me in a month but he came and bought it, it wasn't the cheapest on there but could tell been looked after
Old 03 August 2014, 04:48 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

don't worry I'm in no rush on this one! And as far as breaking it no chance, in fact I don't think I'd sell it to anyone who had that intention, nor a dealer! I'd rather keep it.

Car should be going back to Extreme at the end of this week to have a steering rack gaiter replaced ready for the MOT.
Old 03 August 2014, 05:20 PM
xe dan
Scooby Newbie

i see this today looked a very clean example glws
Old 04 August 2014, 06:39 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan, guessing that was you in the silver classic at the roundabout near the car garages?
Old 04 August 2014, 07:30 PM
xe dan
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 328isport
Cheers Dan, guessing that was you in the silver classic at the roundabout near the car garages?
yeah that was me near the garages yours looks a very clean example
Old 04 August 2014, 10:11 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

cool I'll keep a look out for you, plenty of scoobs around here but not many classics :-)

Turns out I'm better at buying than selling (not that I didn't know that already), bought some Bilstein shocks and blue Prodrive springs for it today

Had to be done as always wanted this set up on the car but so rarely comes up. Technically the cars still for sale, so any interested parties feel free to get in touch, however I won't be advertising it anywhere else for now, looks like I might have to keep it a little longer ;-)
Old 04 August 2014, 10:46 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

You got a good deal on the billies mate
Old 20 August 2014, 11:32 AM
Gaz*Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

I know you've said you're keeping it for a while but I'd be interested if you're still selling it.