Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

2001 Import WRX bug 352bhp

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2014, 10:45 AM
Gerd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Import WRX bug 352bhp

Impreza WRX JDM 352bhp bug registered on a 51 plate in mica red (paint code 94H) Currently showing 66496 miles (unsure of the miles/km mix as conversion to miles was done prior to my purchase) MOT Feb 4th 2015, V5 in my name showing 5 keepers and a few months tax left. No import paperwork, dyno print available. This has been my daily drive for a year. Please read full description, price and reasons (gasket issue) stated fully below.

I acquired vehicle on 16/05/13 for £3900 through eBay from a local seller, vehicle had about 57000 miles showing.

Mods stated were Andy Forrest Td05 20g, 800cc injectors, GT Spec 3 bolt un-equal headers and Harvey slip up pipe heat wrapped with 3” Milltek exhaust system from turbo back with straight through 4” tail pipe, K&N induction kit, large front mount intercooler and 255 Walbro fuel pump. There was a dyno print for 350bhp for the above mods by Duncan Graham, this was considered ‘safe’ given the standard bottom end/gearbox While no receipts were provided for the above mods other than the dyno print everything looked in order and present and I was happy to purchase. There were various other bits such as 18 inch wheels, lowered 30mm on springs, large scoop and spoiler (after market items) and a front splitter and HID lights

Mods I carried out after purchase were adding a nearly new 2nd hand set of K-sport 8 pot callipers and 330mm disc’s with new DS2500 pads to the front supplied by Bren@Apex through ScoobyNet forums (approx. £700) I also added a new ZunSport front grille to cover the intercooler, set of decent alloy wheel nuts and boost gauge. I carried out various oil changes etc during my ownership.

After several thousand miles of hassle free motoring a rod decided it wanted to be free and go travelling…see the world that kind of thing. This was around the end of September 2013.

Engine was rebuilt by Tim Farmer costing £2470 including a 2nd hand STI9 short engine with H bean rods which he was familiar with. Motor was stripped, checked, new shells added, surfaces skimmed and new metal gasket added. Being a JDM it has variable value timing on the heads; it was cheaper to get a decent 2nd set than repair the bent valves on mine. New 6 paddle clutch and radiator added at time of install.

On 19/02/14 vehicle went on dyno with Duncan and hit 352bhp. School boy error on my part was not adding a 3 bar map sensor. Duncan explained that it would have been closer to 380bhp and the graph showed the standard sensor struggling to hold 1.4 at high revs hence the bhp drop off.

So plan was to get that sorted, maybe keep for another year and add a 6 speed set up and uprated turbo given the supporting mods and newly forged bottom end. Body work is ok, few stone chips worse being on offside wing and a scuff near fuel filler but cleans up very well. One alloy is buckled on outer edge, been checked and driven on for over 3K without issue and nearside rear suspension has started to knock slightly. I drove about 4K on the new engine.

However…

Around 1000 miles ago whilst in traffic the radiator split at the seam, I didn’t notice it immediately but was soon stationary at the side of the road. Tim Farmer checked the engine over and put the old rad back in. All seemed fine after a shake down, looked like I’d got away with it and was told to keep an eye on things. I’ve run it for about another 1000 miles, there are no signs of anything untoward coming out of the exhaust, doesn’t seem to be any water in the oil, no bubbles in reservoir, engine idles lovely…but and it’s a big one I have noticed the engine is using a small amount of water and after a hard drive there is a small amount of brown froth in the reservoir which is oily to the touch. This is quite minor but due to this I’m stating now that the head gasket will need sorting. Vehicle has continued to be used as my daily drive until last week when the insurance ran out but I want people to be aware of the full circumstances of this vehicle.

I have insurance to sort, tyres need doing on top of having to have the heads off and a current ongoing house purchase means I’m initially putting the vehicle up for sale at £2500.

Some of you might scoff at that price given the above however I think it is fairly well considered. This gives options for someone to buy and repair and be left with a decent spec motor or break with room for profit. It also represents the minimum I’ll accept not to go through the hassle of breaking myself.

I can be contacted via mail on ScoobyNet for my mobile number for serious enquiries.

Last edited by Gerd; 04 June 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04 June 2014, 02:14 PM
MixMan X
Scooby Regular

Seems odd that the head gasket would go so soon after the rebuild? I know you had a split hose, but still?
Old 04 June 2014, 03:26 PM
Gerd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MixMan X
Seems odd that the head gasket would go so soon after the rebuild? I know you had a split hose, but still?
It was a seam on the radiator that went (Rad was new but not a genuine Subaru part and not alloy or highflow...mistake on my part) Could well of been damage or something that took the rad out but couldn't see any obvious signs.

As I said I didn't notice immediately and when I did temp gauge was in the red so had been driving through traffic and then onto motorway. Guess it doesn't matter how new a build is if you cook it something will give.

I have every faith in the build and put this down to my own stupid fault through lack of observation and not having a decent rad suitable for the build or a proper aftermarket temp guage to protect the engine in situations like this. The water usage and brown froth only seems to occur on boost/hard drive which I've been told is common on metal gaskets and hence why its now parked up.

Vehicle is located in North Hertfordshire

Last edited by Gerd; 04 June 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04 June 2014, 05:33 PM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Good lord, this looks awesome!

I have been in a hunt for a DIY subaru for some time now, and if it was a JDM, even better.

I am located in Watford, which is ironic, as you are from Herts.

Only issue, my payday is next week. Accepting deposits, discussions of some sorts?

Cheers!
Old 04 June 2014, 09:55 PM
McFartenplop
Scooby Regular

PMd
Old 05 June 2014, 11:19 AM
Gerd
Scooby Newbie

Provisionally sold pending collection and cash in hand next week. If all goes well I’ll update all other interested parties.
Old 08 July 2014, 01:39 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

Did this sell?
Old 08 July 2014, 01:41 PM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IveGotTheBug
Did this sell?
it was gone within an hour...
Old 08 July 2014, 02:08 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

Not suprised nice spec and looks stunning,cheers
Old 08 July 2014, 04:47 PM
Gerd
Scooby Newbie

Sold...very quickly...not a day goes by I don't think about the bug
Old 08 July 2014, 06:14 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

You moving on or on the lookout for another scoob?