Styling Exterior styling

Import number plate law?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2012, 01:08 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import number plate law?

Are there any differnece in the style or leagality my number plate has to be as it is an import or is the law it has to be uk regulation size font blah blah,

also is there any law on where it has to be placed ,

Only thinking as i have a square one on the back that isnt uk reg and also a square one o the front that isnt uk reg.

Now i want to change them and move them but where can i?

now it also brings me onto another point as my current number plates are square and double rowed does that mean they are not legal. ?
Old 09 July 2012, 03:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

DVLA website or your local Halfords have all the answers. Double rows are fine, most 4x4 have them.
Old 09 July 2012, 03:04 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Halfords new nothing on the laws when it comes to import cars and dvla website well it can be a little confusing to say the least#!

i found this though althought it talks about american cars i think the same can apply.

"
UK Regulations

The UK regulations attempt to ensure that all registrations are easily identified. The authorities consider it crucial for crime prevention and road safety that witnesses of accidents and crime, as well as roadside cameras, are able to read registrations easily.

The following alterations may result in indistinguishable plates and are illegal:
Fancy or decorative typefaces, such as italic fonts
Altering of characters. For example, placing a bolt in the middle of the number 11 to give the illusion of the letter H or moving letters from one character group to another
Sporting emblems and religious symbols
Honeycomb or any other background designs
From 1 September 2001, it was agreed that number plate characters must comply with the following spacing rules: Excepting the letter I and the number 1, characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide. The width of each character stroke must be 14mm and one must be able to measure 11mm between each character in the same grouping. Additionally, character groups must also be 33mm apart.

However, there is one concession for imported cars, which was announced in 2001:

Fortunately for drivers of American cars in the UK, the regulations now state that imported cars may display number plates with smaller characters if: a) The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval and b) The construction/design of the vehicle cannot accommodate standard size number plates. Therefore, the following specifications, which are identical to those given to motorbikes and tricycles, may be applied:
Character height: 64mm
Character width: 44mm
Character stroke: 10mm
Space between characters: 10mm
Minister for Transport, John Spellar, announced this ruling on 31 July 2001. Almost all American cars are manufactured with a motorcycle size number plate and it is costly to modify these plates. This rule saves money, as well as the inconvenience of modifying. Law enforcement agencies are still able to clearly read these registrations, so they do not cause any problems. "
Old 09 July 2012, 03:14 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Good info here.

http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates