Styling Exterior styling

Respray!? Options

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2010, 01:39 PM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray!? Options

Basically I have enough wedge aside to get a respray done! Car is a MY99 Facelift Classic in Dark Green. Rear arches starting to show surface rust on inside (caught them in time) possible new offside front wing due to a bad touch up starting to rust. Tiny wee mark slight bubble of rust on roof ( no bigger than qtr size of 5p piece, just me being fussy ) apart from that no other issues!

Have couple of Questions regarding colours if there's any pro bodyshop guys kicking around!

Basically my budget is around the £1k to £1.5k, could spend more but was planning on keeping it same colour so to keep costs down!

Would changing the colour be an extremely expensive job?

If I keep the same colour, could I alter it for slightly different shade or different manufacturers colour?

Should I change the window seals/rubbers to keep the fresh look going? Are these expensive?

What can I ask the bodyshop to do so that I can protect usual problem areas from rust for a good number of years!?

All Help extremely appreciated!
Old 22 March 2010, 06:12 PM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Anyone able to help on this?
Old 22 March 2010, 06:55 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no 'pro bodyshop guy' as you've put it, but i've looked into something like this quite indepth myself and spoke to local shops around mine.

Change of colour isnt a big deal aslong as base colour isnt much darker than the new colour... i.e. NO NO being black base, new white respray - whereas white base, new black respray YES YES, no probs.

With regard to future rusting, all they can do is a good job at getting rid of current rust spots and going a good paintjob, basically whichever way you look at it the metal is still 10-15yrs old.

One note would possibly look and undersealing the underside of the car??? Probs already been done when imported though.

Window seals, no idea on cost, but will be small in comparision to the job in hand... leave it and you nice new paintwork wont be what people notice, if you're going to spend £1500 do it right 1st time round.
Old 22 March 2010, 07:12 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _KENDO_
Basically I have enough wedge aside to get a respray done! Car is a MY99 Facelift Classic in Dark Green. Rear arches starting to show surface rust on inside (caught them in time) possible new offside front wing due to a bad touch up starting to rust. Tiny wee mark slight bubble of rust on roof ( no bigger than qtr size of 5p piece, just me being fussy ) apart from that no other issues!

Have couple of Questions regarding colours if there's any pro bodyshop guys kicking around!

Basically my budget is around the £1k to £1.5k, could spend more but was planning on keeping it same colour so to keep costs down!

Would changing the colour be an extremely expensive job?

If I keep the same colour, could I alter it for slightly different shade or different manufacturers colour?

Should I change the window seals/rubbers to keep the fresh look going? Are these expensive?

What can I ask the bodyshop to do so that I can protect usual problem areas from rust for a good number of years!?

All Help extremely appreciated!
i had my old scort done properly all rust must be removed/treated with loctite cure rust to prevent mishaps not just grind off fill and repaint. if you want it to look the dogs try and get whoever does it to prime it with a damm good primer filler first . i know someone in devon who will make it look like a new car for 1500-2g
Old 22 March 2010, 07:30 PM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
I know someone in devon who will make it look like a new car for 1500-2g
Thanks for the info chaps that's good to know plus I am talking right money at least!............ But DEVON!!!??

Take it you missed where I stay, would cost me 1.5-2k just to get it there!!
Old 22 March 2010, 07:44 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _KENDO_
Thanks for the info chaps that's good to know plus I am talking right money at least!............ But DEVON!!!??

Take it you missed where I stay, would cost me 1.5-2k just to get it there!!
oops lol missed that ( holiday maybe ) rent a car here he would only need car for 4-5days . then have a holiday in devon at the same time kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak
Old 22 March 2010, 08:39 PM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

The best colour car to do a colour change on, is a black car.

Your rear arches, if the rust bubbles are near the rear bumper, will be rusty from the inside out, so will require new metal welding in place.

A colour change on your green car is no big deal, untill you need to do the engine bay. That is where serious expense is at.

The window scrapers (on top of the doors, against the window) are approx £60 each, the ones that run around the top of the door glass and down the rear pillar are approx £170 each.