Styling Exterior styling

Diy Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2009, 08:03 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diy Window Tinting

Just a quicky, I would like to use the film if possible. Is it possible to get good results doing it yourself? If so, which % would you recommend. I'm not after a 'pimp' look and I'm only interested in doing the back windows and rear window. My car is a sonic blue classic.

Cheers for any input.
Old 03 October 2009, 08:15 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can tint ure rear and back windows as dark as u want,the front must have 70% light coming through however my old car had dark smoke in rear and light smoke front,30 quid fine for the front but only traffic commisioner can fine u .. imo i would pay the 100 quid most places pay to get it done rite
Old 03 October 2009, 08:32 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

My rears have 18% film on them - as far as I'm concerned it's just right and not limo (chav) black.
Old 03 October 2009, 08:55 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, now the next question. Any recommendations on where to buy the film. I think I will try it myself and at the end of the day if I ***** it up i'll go to the pros! Is 18% almost black?

Martin
Old 03 October 2009, 09:09 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i would go to somewhere and get it done get the fronts done as dark as you can to still be legal.

it looks stupid with just the rears done.

my old cav turbo had a lighter tint on the front but looking at the car from the outside you could hardly tell al the windows looked well blacked out. look good on the black car.

never had any hassel from the plod in the 5 years i had it
Old 03 October 2009, 11:07 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Skooby53
Cheers guys, now the next question. Any recommendations on where to buy the film. I think I will try it myself and at the end of the day if I ***** it up I'll go to the pros! Is 18% almost black?

Martin
the tint at halfords is OK but i would pay someone to do it , i have tinted afew cars myself and a few mates cars like novas/ vans etc.. and find its easy to tint the side windows with good results but always have trouble tinting the rear windows that are curved alot

i did attempt my impreza and the side windows were easy and came out spot on but the rear window i could not do even when i cut it across the window a few times it still would not go tidy,

if you do attempt it heres a few pointers make window templates out of paper then clean the window as best you can with rubber and a blade to get any hard bits off glass then clean again as you cannot get it clean enough
when peeling the tint spray the soapy water over tint as your peeling so if it touches anything it will not stick and crease and use a rubber too get bubbles out as credit card will mark film

and last but not least once most of the bubbles are out and you only have a few left in corners get a hair dryer and heat the glass where the bubbles are ( from out side ) then squeedge bubbles out

hope this helps

Last edited by The Stitcher; 03 October 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04 October 2009, 10:00 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

This is mine with 18% Suntek Carbon film fitted - this was done professionally at a cost of £180, the extra cost is due to the lifetime warranty on the film and fitting.

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2009, 01:57 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

hi there ive tinted a few cars well quite alot actually in our town i do it for 40 quid a car and they supply the film i always tell them get it on ebay i can give u the link to the good stuff if u want alot better than that halfords crap i wouldnt use any other now what i do is first remove doorcards and window seal that sits at the top of the doorcard and mirror cover then i clean class twice removing any stickers even alarm stickers as this can cause bubbles later on once thats done close the door and wet the outside of the window with soapy water and put the film over it and mark the line of the window also remember which side is the sticky side when u peel it and leave plenty of excess at the top as u have to think of the thickness of the top window seal and also the bottom window seal aswell as how much of the window it covers when its up i normally mark the film with the plastic thing u get with the film so once marked get the scissors out cut it once cut i normally lay it on the roof or the bonnet which ever is the flattest also spray sum of ure soapy water where u lay the film as this helps to keep the film down stop it blowing away while u peel it while peeling it spray soapy water on the sticky side as if it does start to get windy and it blows about it wont stick together dont be shy with the amount u use also just before u peel it spray plenty of soapy water on the inside of the window if its like the classic shape u wont have to put window down but if its like a clio or something then put the window down a wee bit so its lower than the window seal then one ure film is sprayed with soapy water and the inside of the window and u have peeled it place it on the window and use the plastic thing supplied with tint i normaly use my old top up card once film is on move into place that covers the window if this is on a classic then put the film just a wee bit higher than the window and trim the excess of with a stanley blade also supplied with the tint but before u trim the top squeeze most of the bubbles and soap out start from the top and go down the way always easier this way as the water drips down the way anyway then tuk the film down the inside of the window this is why u remove the window seal trim all the way round the window and sqeeze out any more bubbles and wen it comes to the pain in the but bits if u get any that once to keep popping up then steal ure birds hair dryer of use a heat gun and heat the pain in the *** bit but dont put the heat gun to close to the film while u have the heat on it gently squeeze out the bubbles or air that bein a pain dont try to rush it be patient also once done dont keep playin with it and i usually leave the car for a few hours to let it dry out or if u have to drive put ure heaters on so it drys out the film quicker for the rear window it s the same but i cut mine in 2 strips long ways as its a pain in the *** with being a curved window and not straight and wen u put the film on just very slightly overlap the 2 bits if ure not good at cutting straight if its a dark tint u wont notice it from the outside anyway and basicaly thats it mate hope this helps

also if its a car that has a window surround ill refer to a clio again lol wen u put the tint on make sure the window is down a wee bit below the seal and overlap it at the top trim the top then put the window up further so u no wen u put the window right up that u have enough left at the bottom of the film to cover the window before u trim the bottom as seen so many people not doin this and wen they put window done they have a gap at the top because they didnt do this or a gap at the bottom because they trimmed of to much

hope this helps buddy
Old 04 October 2009, 02:07 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

the guys ebay name is londontintco item number270451822993 that will take u to his page enough different shades of tint real good quality and i got mine next day delivery hes very quick at postage
Old 04 October 2009, 02:10 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

oh i put dark smoke on my back 3 of my classic and light smoke at the front it still looks like its almost the same allround but its still legal
Old 04 October 2009, 08:46 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies guys. Lots of useful advice there. I will have a look at Halfords and on ebay. I'm feeling confident about the side windows but the back one is going to be interesting! What % is legal for the fronts? If I do the fronts then I only want it light as I do have concerns for safety!

BlueBugEye, that's exactly the look I'm after, very nice

Martin.

Last edited by Skooby53; 04 October 2009 at 08:48 PM.