Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Fitted STI spoiler -Couple of issue tho...

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 11:41 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitted STI spoiler -Couple of issue tho...

I’ve just been out showing my neighbour the new STI8 replica spoiler from DR Motorsport and I’ve noticed a small problem; on the rear of the spoiler, under the brake light there is a strip (width of the brake light plus an inch or so either side) that isn’t make contact anymore with the boot lid? I’ve tried pressing it back down and while it sticks, as soon as you let you go it springs back up (I’m guessing there is an ever so slight imperfection on the spoiler at the back)?

The spoiler is fitted with the 4 original bolts plus a strip of (not-so) strong adhesive tape around it....

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is it worth attempting to remove the spoiler and refitting it with some strong double sided tape? If so how best would I cut the double side tape away? Slide a Stanley knife blade under it and cut it away from the spoiler then peal it away from the paint after??

It’s not massively noticeable but I know it’s there and doesn’t look particularly good when you get close to it! If you could let me know best way of sorting this out it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 22 May 2009, 12:09 AM
beanys
Scooby Regular

get some double side tape
if u search on here theres a few people on about some ,M3 tape u can buy m8
regards
Old 22 May 2009, 07:08 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Bolt it down like what you should do! I have the scooby world spoiler and it has to be bolted down as do the genuine ones to make sure they fit snug.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:54 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

A couple of people in my local club have recently had problems like this, In there case they had been miss-sold newage spoilers for there classics.
What car are you fitting the spoiler too? Do you have pictures?
Old 22 May 2009, 10:00 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
A couple of people in my local club have recently had problems like this, In there case they had been miss-sold newage spoilers for there classics.
What car are you fitting the spoiler too? Do you have pictures?
Hi mate,

I've just spoke to David at DRM (my car is an 05 wrx) and he said they are built like that and not to worry, its sposed to be there as a drainage mechanism incase any water gets under the spoiler... unless you actually get on your knees and get ryt close to it, you cant tell tbf, im just a bit **** with things like this! lol

apart from that it fits perfect everywhere else!
Old 22 May 2009, 10:29 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Good to hear, I am the same with mine, quest for perfection !!
Old 22 May 2009, 10:35 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

i still wish i'd bought a genuine! i might get one eventually and take this one off :-) its pretty only stuck on lol

im still **** about leaks, everytime it stops raining i check the boot LOL
Old 22 May 2009, 10:53 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
i still wish i'd bought a genuine! i might get one eventually and take this one off :-) its pretty only stuck on lol

im still **** about leaks, everytime it stops raining i check the boot LOL
I originally bought a copy of an STi6 spoiler for my classic, NOT from DRM, I hasten to add. To start with it looked good, but after a couple of years it began to show signs of bumps, then it cracked along the top, and finally began to bubble. It was also VERY heavy, often causing the bootlid to slam when used by the unwary.

I then spent ages on e-bay etc sourcing a GENUINE one, which I eventually did, and got for £200 as it was listed as "slightly damaged".

When it came, the brake light fixing was broken, so I "welded" it together plus a strengthening piece of ABS with proper ABS solvent, and repaired a crack in the brakelight itself with the same stuff, plus a bit of Araldite along it's back edge to help seal it.

Result. Got it sprayed, the old one removed and the new fitted for a bit over £100. Not bad.
Old 22 May 2009, 10:57 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

ahhh if it was heavy i suspect it was just a fibreglass replica? the one from DRM doesnt weigh much at all tbf, u can easily hold it with one hand...
Old 22 May 2009, 12:33 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
ahhh if it was heavy i suspect it was just a fibreglass replica? the one from DRM doesnt weigh much at all tbf, u can easily hold it with one hand...
Yep, f/g it was. The newer ones are PU I beleive, and have used PU coving to replace some in the kitchen, I can testify that it's light, easy to work with and easy to glue.
It looks good too, but I might have reservations about it's longevity on a car.......unless they do more to it's outer surface.

Sorry, it's still be ABS and the real thing for me from now on.

With the amount I've spent on spoilers and getting them painted, fitted etc, I could have had a new one from a stealer for less
Old 22 May 2009, 01:03 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Yep, f/g it was. The newer ones are PU I beleive, and have used PU coving to replace some in the kitchen, I can testify that it's light, easy to work with and easy to glue.
It looks good too, but I might have reservations about it's longevity on a car.......unless they do more to it's outer surface.

Sorry, it's still be ABS and the real thing for me from now on.

With the amount I've spent on spoilers and getting them painted, fitted etc, I could have had a new one from a stealer for less
lol thats true! well, i spent £300 on this (inc painting)... Ive decided to take it to me mate next week who is going to remove it and refit it for me propperly LOL (he runs his own bodyshop...)

If it goes all manky / cracks or just basically dies ill rip it off (or more like my friend will...) and buy a genuine part from a breakers

for the time being, ill give it the benefit of the doubt as DRM have done quiet a good job with build quality / painting...
Old 22 May 2009, 01:07 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

You OUGHT to be able to get a genuine one easier than I did. V5 and V6 ones are rarer than rocking horse poo Neither were imported by dealers or IM.

BUT: do be careful if you go down that road: quite a few copies are just that: my old f/glass one came out of a mould, so it still said ABS on the base, but it wasn't