Styling Exterior styling

Blobeye Subtle Styling Project

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 05:23 PM
Lindowkid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye Subtle Styling Project

Just finished a series of subtle mods that I wanted to make to stop me from selling and buying an STi!! New STi wheels, Splitter and Fog Light covers. Not sure whether to change the graphics on the covers for authenticity sake or not.

Any thoughts recommendations for the next wave of changes ? remove the roof rails ? Anything I can do to the rear (is there a rear splitter!)

Ideas welcome

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old&NewFrontEnd.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2600
Old 22 May 2009, 07:53 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I would loose the Sti graphics, you could also do a de-tango. Not sure if you can fit the Sti skirts, would look cool if you could.

Maybe change the pea shooters for a single pipe ?
Old 22 May 2009, 10:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

roof bars and a picnic basket for me!!!!! We are thinking about doing that to our hawkeye wagon.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:07 AM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Definately detango then spray the inside chrome bit black, debadge the front grill, and the boot. All of this will set you back about £30 (inc new bulbs and paint). Get some winglets for the front bumper and the car will look 100%.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:36 AM
Lindowkid
Scooby Regular

OK need more info on de-badging and I don't know what de-tango is or winglets. Sound good though...
Old 23 May 2009, 12:57 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Ok, debadging is dead easy. Boot lid - heat the badges gently with a hair drier then use a length of fishing line in behind the badge using a gentle sawing action, this will take the badge off. Again heat the sticky stuff left behind and use your thumb to roll the gunk off. Once off use something like a glue remover (some people use bug/tar remover for this) to take the rest off then finish with a bit of polish. Job done.

The front is a bit harder and requires a bit more work. You need to remove the front grill for this. Its just held on with 6 push clips I think which you pop with a long screwdriver. Once off use a hack saw blade to cut the Subaru badge off taking it as near flush as you can the the top and bottom of the grill without damaging it. Use a course file then a finer one to take down further still. Finish off with sandpaper wrapped round a flat block of wood for a smoother finish. You may need to fill a couple of small holes now. Just use an easy sand body filler for this. Once dry, sand down again, refill then sand again till you get it perfect. Once done, respray with your chosen colour (I used satin black) let dry and refit.

As for detango, do a search on this forum, you'll find plenty of guides on how to do it. It basically means taking the horrid orange bit out of your headlamps. you will need silver coated indicator bulbs to replace the orange ones. Stear clear of Silvatech bulbs, they are not bright enough on a sunny day, go for Philips Silver vision instead - they're far far brighter. It can be a bit of a bitch to detango but a very cheap mod and worth all the effort. Remember to sand the chrome inner part which can be removed and spray black. Otherwise after detangoing, I think anyway, it looks to chromey if you don't.

Winglets are the side bits that stick to the corners of the front bumpers. The STI's have them but the WRX's don't. You can get them from Subaru new for about £150 or I'm sure somewhere you'll find 2nd hand ones or even copy items. Again, do a search on how to fit these. They're dead easy to fit but takes a bit of ***** in the first instance to cut holes in your pride and joy's bumper. When fitting these, remember, measure twice, cut once.

Hope this helps bud
Old 16 June 2009, 07:13 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great although I have to say no to the STi alloys, standard look a lot cleaner imo.

Front of the car is really transformed with fog covers and splitter. I am spending some time this summer doing some similar work including the winglets. Did you fit them or de-badge the front grill? Have you thought about fitting the Prodrive grills? I really like them on black WRX's.