Styling Exterior styling

sti spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 09:43 PM
PODWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti spoiler

Just bought a sti type spoiler from scoobyworld for my 2005wrx. Spoiler looks of decent quality and fit but have a few questions about fitting. Has anyone fitted one of these before? Need to drill a lot of holes in bootlid which i'm not to happy about but needs must. There is a cable that loops in from the top half spoiler and into the lower half. Its reccomended that this is then passed through into the boot lid (another hole!) but not sure if this needs doing? Also concerned over sealing all these holes up...any ideas? Bootlid springs..do they need uprating to carry the extra weight?

Any help appreciated before i start hacking into bootlid.

ta
Old 31 March 2009, 10:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I had one fitted to my WRX many mons ago. Is the cable the brake light cable, if so connect it. As for the springs, mine weren't changed and they were fine. I would imagine a silicone sealant will do?

Try a search if its working.

Originally Posted by PODWRX
Just bought a sti type spoiler from scoobyworld for my 2005wrx. Spoiler looks of decent quality and fit but have a few questions about fitting. Has anyone fitted one of these before? Need to drill a lot of holes in bootlid which i'm not to happy about but needs must. There is a cable that loops in from the top half spoiler and into the lower half. Its reccomended that this is then passed through into the boot lid (another hole!) but not sure if this needs doing? Also concerned over sealing all these holes up...any ideas? Bootlid springs..do they need uprating to carry the extra weight?

Any help appreciated before i start hacking into bootlid.

ta
Old 31 March 2009, 11:35 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought the carbon one great quality.
Old 06 April 2009, 05:00 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I fitted one to my 02 Sti a few years back, replaced the standard low kevel spoiler with the high level one........the brake light wires will pass through the hole that is already there for the brakelight now, I had to cut the wires on mine as the plug supplied did not fit the one on my brake light cable, small job with connectors and it workd fine..The drilling was OK just take time and drill thruogh masking tape/wiring tape to stop the drill from slipping, I used a variable speed drill to get you started, it was easier than a standard drill.............I put sealent aroung my holes but regretted it as everytime it rained gunk used to run from under the spoiler and streak on my bootlid...........maybe it was crap sealent and never dried properly ???? some red oxide paint/rusr inhibitor paint should do the trick, you won't see it under the spoiler..............good luck, get someone to give you hand with holding the spoiler on ( for measurement and bolting on) as it was murder for me doing it alone !!!
Old 06 April 2009, 05:01 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
bought the carbon one great quality.
from Scoobyworld ..I'm looking for carbon one now ??? at the Mo looking for a good suppler
Old 06 April 2009, 08:07 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I just fitted mine this week - took about 3 hours all in on my own.
  1. Remove old spoiler, 2 nuts per side and disconnect the high level brake light. You'll need a deep drive 10mm socket
  2. Clean the boot lid, I used 'sticky stuff remover' on the sealant.
  3. Make a template of the hole on the spoiler, I put 1/2 toothpicks into all the holes and then pressed a piece of cardboard down onto it to get the locations.
  4. Check the alignment of the spoiler on the boot lid, mine is ever so slightly too far right even though it lines up in the original holes.
  5. Fit one of the bolts into every hole on the spoiler to clean up the thread
  6. Tape the template to the boot lid, and then drill each hole (I used an 8mm drill bit). Take care with the outer holes as one goes into the rubber stops (remove these 1st) and the other into a double skinned section.
  7. Test fit the spoiler - put a couple of the bolts through - enlarge/ovalise holes if needed.
  8. Clean any wax off the boot lid around the holes
  9. Paint any bare metal with primer
  10. Enlarge the hole in the inner skin (front outside holes) so you can fit the bolt through.
  11. Stick the adhesive pads onto the boot at each hole.
  12. Tape the brake light wire to the base of the spoiler and thread through the original hole in the boot.
  13. Place the spoiler on the boot lid and bolt into position, make sure to use the washers. Fit every bolt before fully tightening any.
  14. Connect brake light wire
  15. Make sure everything is tight and enjoy

Look at my post re fitting of mine:Look at my post re fitting of mine:

Last edited by BlueBugEye; 06 April 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 15 August 2010, 10:45 PM
smackey
Scooby Newbie

Does anybody know how the long cables from the top peice go or how they rap around ?

gonna give it a go at fitting tomorrow.