Styling Exterior styling

removing classic side skirts help please

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2008, 10:56 AM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing classic side skirts help please

ive just brought some good condition replacement side skirts for my my95 as it worked out cheaper than having my resprayed, now ive got the fun job of fitting them over christmas, how easy is it to do or would it be easier letting a body shop do it? i know theres a clip inside the front wheel arch which i removed to fit mud flaps & i can see the 6 nuts underneeth is there anymore to it? also ive got a rubber strip running across the top of my current fitted skirts?

Last edited by w13dle; 13 December 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 13 December 2008, 02:10 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Wink

IIRC, there's a clip at either end, then 6 bolts underneath. SHOULD be easy, BUT:

The clips are ones that need you to pick out the centre, then pull the whole lot out, but they LOOK like they unscrew

The bolts rust solid, even though they are screwed into plastic pegs. Result: the peg deforms and the whole lot is a NIGHTMARE to get off, then you have to source new pegs, but Scoob dealers have them for a few pence each.

Once you're ready to refit, you'll need the black rubber strip if your new ones don't have it. Also I'd STRONGLY advise you to replace the old bolts with stainless ones, available from Screwfix, or via a bolt and nut stockist, try Yell.com the UK's local search engine - search for United Kingdom businesses, well worth the few quid they cost
Old 13 December 2008, 02:37 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help, i cant seem to see these clips you mention that you pick out the centres? i only seem to have the 6 bolts underneeth & the one clip inside the front arch
Old 13 December 2008, 03:32 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, clips at each end, in the middle and 6 bolts underneath. The clips along the length of the skirt can't be seen. Once the bolts and end clips are off the skirt shoud just pull away from the car with a sharp tug. Probably need to replace the clips as they go brittle and snap when you take off the skirts!!
Old 13 December 2008, 05:14 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by w13dle
thanks for your help, i cant seem to see these clips you mention that you pick out the centres? i only seem to have the 6 bolts underneeth & the one clip inside the front arch
Could be there is only one then, I'm only going on recall from years back Anyway, get the front one and the bolts, and if there's another, the rear part won't come off
Old 13 December 2008, 05:58 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

ive just picked up the skirts tonight looking at them now it all falls into place thanks guys