Styling Exterior styling

Fitting winglets to an O3 Blobeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 07:57 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting winglets to an O3 Blobeye WRX

I have just read to instructions on the forum on how to fit the STI winglets to an 03 Blobeye WRX and am still a bit confused.

My main question is do the Winglet panels (part no 57742FE010/000) just fit right over the top of the existing WRX bumper?

I have just had a look at my car and as it is (with the standard bumper) where the winglets would fit on it is all the same width. The bottom part doesn't stick out at all. So if the winglet parts do just sit on the top, surely they would stick out by the thickness off the material they're made from.
I don't think I've written that so you'll understand me easily but I hope you get the jist!

As you can see I'm a bit confused so if someone who's done the mod or knows about it could set me straight that would be great.

Cheers
Old 27 May 2008, 08:59 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Meallbhan
I have just read to instructions on the forum on how to fit the STI winglets to an 03 Blobeye WRX and am still a bit confused.

My main question is do the Winglet panels (part no 57742FE010/000) just fit right over the top of the existing WRX bumper?

I have just had a look at my car and as it is (with the standard bumper) where the winglets would fit on it is all the same width. The bottom part doesn't stick out at all. So if the winglet parts do just sit on the top, surely they would stick out by the thickness off the material they're made from.
I don't think I've written that so you'll understand me easily but I hope you get the jist!

As you can see I'm a bit confused so if someone who's done the mod or knows about it could set me straight that would be great.

Cheers
I think I know what your saying mate the winglets on mine don't flush with the bumper at all and thats from factory try zooming in on my scooby to give you a better idea, they just seem to sit on top of the bumper.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:06 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Hi man, thanks, had a look at your pics but it isn't clear. Think I know what you're saying though.

The one of the front of your motor is the best pic cos its the biggest and clearest but cant really tell cos of the angle its taken from. Nice motor.

I'm scared to order the parts incase it just doesn't look right.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:17 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

yes they do stand proud by the material thickness, also have a black rubber seal around them that goes around the joint where it sits proud of the bumper similar to the seal on the sideskirts, but they look fine that is how they are supposed to be.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:32 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Is that how they look on an STI?
Old 27 May 2008, 11:14 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Is that how they look on an STI?
Yes, its exactly the same part
Old 27 May 2008, 11:18 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

hi can i ask where you got the winglets from im after some but cannot find any ,can you buy them ready painted from subaru
thanks phil
Old 28 May 2008, 02:20 AM
richiewong
Twatful

They come prepainted from your dealer.
Old 28 May 2008, 07:51 AM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

I got a set of winglets of HT autos, painted them myself not sure if HT autos paints them. came with the rubber seal thingy, still havent fitted them tho,what side does the rubber seal go, the longer leg that runs under the bumper at the bottom of the winglet... does the rubber seal go between the car bumper and the under hangybit of the winglet ? dunno if u get what im trying to say.
Old 28 May 2008, 07:52 AM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

Have you got the link for fitting the winglets?
Old 28 May 2008, 09:37 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinchers
Have you got the link for fitting the winglets?

here you go

Mods
Old 28 May 2008, 10:00 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

As fitted to my old WRX......
Name:  My2004WRX13.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  My2004WRX10.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  141.7 KB

I didn't fit them though because I was too busy/too numpty the garage that did them did them in a hour though, and it was there first time
Old 28 May 2008, 11:18 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

You can see the seal better in this pic, it comes prefitted on the OE parts. Take care cutting the slot, make it too big and the clip won't be tight.

Old 28 May 2008, 01:11 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

There was ever such a slight gap between my seal and the bumper so I used some black silicone and a small spatch (didn't want any mud or silt getting in behind it)
Old 28 May 2008, 04:10 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
There was ever such a slight gap between my seal and the bumper so I used some black silicone and a small spatch (didn't want any mud or silt getting in behind it)
I'm guessing then that your garage didn't cut the slot/slots correctly, if they are cut tight the panel will sit tight to the bumper.
Old 28 May 2008, 04:15 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

In all fairness it was their first time so I'll let them off, costing me ££'s

"If a job is worth doing......"
Old 28 May 2008, 11:22 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
hi can i ask where you got the winglets from im after some but cannot find any ,can you buy them ready painted from subaru
thanks phil
I phoned my local dealer yesterday and got a price for the winglets, £63.91 + VAT per side (£75.09 inc Vat). Don't know though if all dealer prices are the same. This was from Aird Motors in Beauly, Inverness-shire.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:15 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

I phoned my local dealer yesterday and got a price for the winglets, £63.91 + VAT per side (£75.09 inc Vat). Don't know though if all dealer prices are the same. This was from Aird Motors in Beauly, Inverness-shire.

yes i did the same exactly the same price that was from doncaster subaru it took ages for him to find them even though i gave him the correct code and £34 +vat each fog cover
Old 29 May 2008, 06:29 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

You got a better deal on the fog light cover than I did. They quoted me £37.84 + VAT (£44.46 inc). Ordered and picking them up tomorrow. Reckon Revolution in Newcastle are at it though, they are charging about £180 for them!! Still genuine parts.

I have not bodywork experience whatsoever, but I am meticulous in what I do, so does everyone reckon fitting the winglets is easy as long as I take my time then?
Old 29 May 2008, 08:10 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I have not bodywork experience whatsoever, but I am meticulous in what I do, so does everyone reckon fitting the winglets is easy as long as I take my time then?
Very easy just follow my instructions as linked above. The quality of the whole job depends on the size and position of the slots..............take your time.

Others have used a product such as Sikaflex to glue them on, with good results. Prefer the slots myself.

Allan
Old 29 May 2008, 10:43 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Ok, cool mate. Maybe I'll use both!!
Old 30 May 2008, 07:57 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

took me about 20 minutes per side and had no problems at all just take it steady and keep trial fitting until you are happy with fit.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:53 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I had a body shop put mine on whilst it was in getting colour coded almost 2 years ago now. I posted a thread cause they've started to come away from the bumper. My winglets didn't have the 'lugs' on it so it was held on purely by what looks like sticky backed foam. Still haven't decided whether to take them off and refit them completely or try to stick down the edge that's come away.
I know which one I should do, but I'm not very confident about doing it!
Old 30 May 2008, 05:07 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Go on man, grow some *****! lol! I'm growing mine just now! I'm not lookin forward to it but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 30 May 2008, 08:18 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I had a body shop put mine on whilst it was in getting colour coded almost 2 years ago now. I posted a thread cause they've started to come away from the bumper. My winglets didn't have the 'lugs' on it so it was held on purely by what looks like sticky backed foam. Still haven't decided whether to take them off and refit them completely or try to stick down the edge that's come away.
I know which one I should do, but I'm not very confident about doing it!
Which is why I would always recommend using the tabs.

In your case you don't have many options, you could remove them and clean off all the old tape and re-fit them with something like Sikaflex. The only problem I can see is that looking at the inside of the panel, I'm not sure how much of it is in contact with bumper. You need to offer it up and try and see where would be the best place to use the adhesive to best effect.

By my reckoning the only reason to glue them on is so that you don’t have to cut the bumper, which is only an issue if you ever wanted to remove them. However the glue will probably destroy your paint, if I want to remove mine I only have one tiny slot to repair.

Failing that it looks like you might need a new set.

Allan
Old 13 June 2008, 09:45 AM
budge28
Scooby Regular

whats the best way to cut the slots, drill or can you cut through with a knife or something?
Old 13 June 2008, 05:05 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by budge28
whats the best way to cut the slots, drill or can you cut through with a knife or something?
This is how I did it.
Old 13 June 2008, 06:08 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

After finding out from a lot of very helpful people on this site I plucked up the courage and fitted my winglets last weekend. It was very easy. Just took some courage to attack my bumper!

First I put some masking tape across the bumper along top and bottom of the wee groove so I could exactly mark where the slots had to be cut. To mark them I just held the winglet inplace with a bit a pressure so a nice tight fit then marked on the tape with a pencil.

I used a 3mm drill to cut the slots, I did either edge of the slot first then drilled the holes as close together as I could to take out the middle bit. Then cleaned it up with a scalpul then a small file.

I found the slots at 3mm weren't quite wide enough so I enlarged the middle of the slot, only the bottom part though with a 4mm bit. this was to fit the tab on the winglet into. Then cleaned up the slot agian.

With trial and error a constant checking for fittment I got it done. But to be honest after the first hole was drilled and my pulse rate settled it was a piece of p1ss!

Take you time, measure twice (or 3 times!) and cut once.

When I figure out how to put a photo in a thread I will post one!
Old 14 June 2008, 11:00 AM
budge28
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.

Meallbhan, did you use all 3 slots at the top or just the 1 and did you drill off the other white clips on the front side as in AllanP's write up?
Old 14 June 2008, 07:41 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.

Meallbhan, did you use all 3 slots at the top or just the 1 and did you drill off the other white clips on the front side as in AllanP's write up?
Some people have used just the one tab to fit the winglets but I wasn't too sure about the strength so I used all 3 tabs and was really happy with the fit it gave.

The winglets are held on at the back and at the bottom with bolts so it aint gona come off but I just thought 3 at the top was better than one. As for the 2 white plastic clips, I popped them out and used a 10mm drill bit (just in my hand cos the plastic is so soft) to take the top off the riveted part. Once the plastic bracket was removed I used a scalpul to trim the rest down to a nice flush surface. Then just tidied things up with a piece of scotchbrite.