Styling Exterior styling

Help, Fitting a new spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2005, 03:51 PM
Scooby_666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Fitting a new spoiler

Hi Just purchased a new spoiler for my scooby and just wondered how to fit it? would take it to a body shop but i want to fit it before its going to be sprayed up and also needs to save a little cash so that i can have all my other bits sprayed. The only reason im asking how to fit it is because when i came to fit it it had to big holes either side of the spoiler but no original holes for the screws to go directly into? do i need to drill new holes or???? please help if possible thanks. Craig

http://photobucket.com/albums/d127/S...obyspoiler.jpg
Old 31 December 2005, 09:28 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Though I've got a bugeye it looks the same as mine, was the WRC one from Scoobyworld. Had mine sprayed before it went on the car.

I had to drill extra holes in the boot lid, I put the screws in the spoiler and pushed it down on a large piece of cardboard, this made indentations on the card.
I selotaped the cardboard to the boot lid and drilled through, worked fine for me .

Hope this helps
Old 31 December 2005, 04:40 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

I would have the spoiler sprayed before fitted m8 plus your other bit's as it will be a lot easier
Old 01 January 2006, 04:13 PM
Northern Scoob
Scooby Regular

I agree - get it sprayed up first, i have the same spoiler which i fitted to my classic. i found that there were 2 bolts/ screws that you couldnt reach underneath unless you made access holes to the frame - these were ditched (secure enough even without them)

just remove old spoiler - some of the new pegs will line up with old holes - i used masking tape over the bootlid - much easier, drop spoiler into any holes already there, push down slightly, this will leave marks in the masking tape (not all due to the curve of the spoiler base) remove spoiler and drill these holes, replace spoiler and press down making more marks on the tape, repeat the process til all holes and pegs fit - i used some automotive dum dum around each of the pegs to provide a seal, i also used the foam gasket tape that was supplied, plus use some touch up to treat the metal edges. gently tighten the spoiler down working each down a little at a time - shut boot and admire youre new spoiler!!

hth

Phil
Old 04 January 2006, 06:14 PM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

from a spray painters point of view i'd fit it first. if you damage or scratch it before its painted you'll have to have it ALL painted again. its best to fit it first to make sure it all lines up correctly and then when you get it back from the body shop you just bolt it straight on.
a lot of people don't realise how soft the paint is after its painted, depending on the hardener