Notices
Styling Exterior styling

got an abs splitter that's a bit wonky, can it be 'ironed' flat?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 06:32 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question got an abs splitter that's a bit wonky, can it be 'ironed' flat?

got a spltter for the scoob the other day and thanks to a **** up with the delivery it's got a bit bent which has resulted in parts of it being puckered/lumpy.

if it's warmed up and clamped up will this flatten it out?

i assume abs plastic is a bit heat reactive so this might work? it seems to have flattened out a bit while it's been layed flat on the floor so will a bit of manipulation do the trick?

ta
Old 28 April 2005, 06:46 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

what kind is it, have you got any pics?
maybe best just to get on to the supplier now and let them know straight away.
Old 28 April 2005, 07:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Double D
what kind is it, have you got any pics?
maybe best just to get on to the supplier now and let them know straight away.
it's a version 6 sti front splitter for my uk99 turbo, wouldn't want to post up pics. the wavy effect may make you sea sick

got in touch with the supplier who's offered part (very small part) refund. problem is it was sent royal mail and the longest parcel you can send by special delivery (i think) is 1.5 metres. this **** has then proceeded to bend the splitter in so it came within said size

it seems a non starter getting him to send a new one via a proper courier so he can send it properly and it'll cost me to send it back to him (don't suppose i'll get reimbursed to quickly)

easiest option seems to be to sort it myself and try to find a way of getting out the lumps and bumps.
Old 28 April 2005, 08:03 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

will it not sort itself out when its on the car and all bolted up?
Old 29 April 2005, 06:28 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
will it not sort itself out when its on the car and all bolted up?
there's every chance it will TBH mate, even on a dry run it looked a bit better.

just want to do as much pre fit work as i can as i guess once it's painted that's it.

on a side note it's got a bit of flex in it, once it's painted will the paint have the 'give' in it to still move a bit for fitting?
Old 29 April 2005, 07:56 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

i would a little heat off a hair dryer to help sort it either off or on the car
Old 30 April 2005, 08:46 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the spoiler does not move much when it is fitted, its bolted on in a lot of places, and its slightly "wrapped" around the front bumper which increases its stregnth when fitted

i cant see it being warped when fitted myself, unless its totally shafted ??

hair dryer

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2005, 10:13 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

the spoiler does not move much when it is fitted, its bolted on in a lot of places, and its slightly "wrapped" around the front bumper which increases its stregnth when fitted
exactly, it's like a skin. so should follow the contours of the bumper hopefully.

there's fixing points at the back of the bumper and 3 under the mouth to the rad, as this is where the problem section is, i would assume it'll turn out ok.

soon find out ta
Old 30 April 2005, 01:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

when you fit it , its kinda "pulled" around the front end, like them old jun spliters for the 3 slat bumper, it should be ok, it really does fit tight as a gnats chuff

i cant rember how many there is now but there all along the underneath from the centre of the spoiler to the end caps, easiest spoiler i have ever fitted to be fair, its nice when stuff just drops into place

bolt it up and see what its like before getting it painted, its a 10min job max to fit it, the first bolt in the center is a bit awkward till you get a thread or 2 on, after that its a doddle
Old 30 April 2005, 03:50 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

when you fit it , its kinda "pulled" around the front end, like them old jun spliters for the 3 slat bumper, it should be ok, it really does fit tight as a gnats chuff

i cant rember how many there is now but there all along the underneath from the centre of the spoiler to the end caps, easiest spoiler i have ever fitted to be fair, its nice when stuff just drops into place

bolt it up and see what its like before getting it painted, its a 10min job max to fit it, the first bolt in the center is a bit awkward till you get a thread or 2 on, after that its a doddle
you seem like a man in the know sticky, what's the score with this screw?

looks like a self taper but has a pointed barrel on top, do i need to drill a pilot hole the diameter of this barrel which will aid location?

my fixing kit that came with the spiltter is 2 bolts for the ends and 3 of these screws for the middle section, would you recomend putting in more self tapers? say two more along the span of the splitter?

ta
Old 30 April 2005, 07:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i did not use a fitting kit, i used loads of bolts that came from the pound shop

i used spring washers to keep the tension and just bolted it up
my front spoiler has a lot more then 3 bolts in the middle holding it on (im positive)

it has the bolts in the end caps, but its also bolted under the end caps? as in the part thats physicaly underneath the bumper, the splitter has sections which meet the bumper

all the holes were allready in the bumper for them all, although my front bumper was listed as a "stiv6 front bumper" on the invoice, is your car a version 5 or 6?
Old 30 April 2005, 07:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

and im not 100% on that selftaper thing but they did use them when they built my site

i think the top part is to act like a small one time use drill bit, they used them to screw metal panels together, couldnt be 100% on that though, if im right then its probably to help drilt through stuff on cars which dont have the preset holes underneath or sumthing?
Old 01 May 2005, 07:52 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

got a spltter for the scoob the other day and thanks to a **** up with the delivery it's got a bit bent which has resulted in parts of it being puckered/lumpy.

if it's warmed up and clamped up will this flatten it out?

i assume abs plastic is a bit heat reactive so this might work? it seems to have flattened out a bit while it's been layed flat on the floor so will a bit of manipulation do the trick?
that's WHY i would use a hair dryer because of the above question
why did he not try splitter on first to see what the fit was like and how bad the puckered / lumpy were ?

Hair dryer , yes ,warm's ABS plastic up nicely ,
Old 01 May 2005, 12:10 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

nope no holes in my bumper mate, maybe uk cars don't have them? being a copy i don't suppose the holes in the splitter would line up anyway might well go down the bolting route and leave the self tapers, does sound like it'll be fixed better

dj73 - i fitted the splitter on loose when i got it and that's when i posted up about the wonkyness of it, it's been sitting flat indoors for a few days now and TBH it seems to have found a bit more of it's proper shape. when i get a chance i'll have another trial fit and hopefully it'll have sorted itself.
maybe fixing it on and running around with it on the car for a while will get the shape back to where it should be. either way it doesn't look like the total write off it did when i first got it

do i detect a slight 'issue' between you two guys?
Old 04 May 2005, 07:03 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular