Styling Exterior styling

Fitting the sti aero corner splitters to wrx

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2005, 08:56 AM
rossyboy-kdy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fitting the sti aero corner splitters to wrx

Hi guys! can anyone help me today? i have got the sti corner splitters and am going to be fitting them today but dont know where to start has anyone done this? Do i have to take the bumper off or can i do it without taking it off? i have also heard that you have to cut a slot into the bumper to make them fit? any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ross
Old 12 March 2005, 07:48 PM
boothy
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am thinking of fiitting these myself can you tell me where you purchased them from , would be interested to know how the fitting goes please post photos after.
Old 12 March 2005, 09:13 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

you get them from your subaru dealer, £60 each colourcoded!! A Bargain!!
Old 13 March 2005, 09:33 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rossyboy - did you put them on?
If not then I have a stripped STi bumper without splitters that I can take piccies of, to show where to cut holes and give sizes etc.
PM if its any help.

Nick
Old 13 March 2005, 08:21 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Butty
Rossyboy - did you put them on?
If not then I have a stripped STi bumper without splitters that I can take piccies of, to show where to cut holes and give sizes etc.
PM if its any help.

Nick

If you don't mind, could you take some for future reference? I can host them for you if you like
Old 13 March 2005, 08:50 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Photo sent to Henrik & Rossyboy.
If its not clear then drop me a line.

Nick
Old 13 March 2005, 09:25 PM
fuji
Scooby Regular

Nick, any chance of sending me the picture, just got my front splitters and would like to see where the holes should be before I start cutting the bumper with the dremmel. Cheers.
Old 13 March 2005, 10:20 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Fuji,
Can you send me your email by PM and I'll send it to you.

Nick
Old 14 March 2005, 09:38 PM
G TOMO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy-kdy
Hi guys! can anyone help me today? i have got the sti corner splitters and am going to be fitting them today but dont know where to start has anyone done this? Do i have to take the bumper off or can i do it without taking it off? i have also heard that you have to cut a slot into the bumper to make them fit? any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ross
Sorry Ross,
I only just read the PM you sent me !(have been busy, sorry)

You don't need to take the bumper off, you just need to make 3 slots in the crease of the bumper where the top of the splitter fits.

Best way to make the slots is to offer up the splitter and mark(with masking tape) where the slots will be.
WARNING cover the bumper with a few layers of masking tape before you start drilling or cutting (it just stops any scratches thay might happen if you drill too deep or slip with the knife)

Then using a SHARP 3mm drill bit, drill 3 holes side by side to create one slot, then using a craft knife, cut away the plastic webs to make a nice oblong slot.

Its important that you make the slots very tight, or the clips on the splitter will not fit properly and you will be able to see the gaps when the spliter is fitted.

Do this for all three slots but dont push the splitter on yet (you won't be able to get it off again)

Next, you need to remove the three round fixing pegs from the inside of the splitter. You dont need these, and drilling the holes in the correct position on the bumper would be near impossible !,
So cut the tops off the plastic welds, and remove the round fixing pegs, then trim any remaining plastic welds sticking out to leave a smooth surface.

I used two layers of HALFORDS car trim tape, where the three round pegs were, just to stop the crap from grtting in there.

Lastly, I used heavy duty black nylon cable ties to secure the bottom of the splitter to the bottom of the bumper(about 5 or 6 per side I think).
These are very strong indeed, and pull the splitter and bumper together nice and tight.

I have tested these at speeds of over 140MPH (it's not big and it's not clever) and they "aint comin off"

Just take your time, it's not a difficult job at all !

REMEMBER ..... put lots of msking tape on the bumper before drilling or cutting.

Good luck ! and lets see some pics when your done.

G TOMO