Styling Exterior styling

Side skirts and rear...

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 05:35 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Side skirts and rear...

Sorry, this has probabley been asked on here many times before... but I'm having me side skirts and rear spats colour coded over the weekend... also got a couple of marks on the rear bumper which will be getting done...
So before I get to taking these bits off for painting... How and where do they need taking off... had a quick look at the skirts... think theres just self tapping bolts along the underneath... so presume I undo them... then a couple of clips 1 on each end... thats that...
The rear bumper, think theres a screw each side... is there any bolts in the boot or underneath??? and how do the spats come away from the bumper???
Cheers for your help...

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/attachments...04%5F001%2Ejpg
Old 05 October 2004, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are we talking classic here?

If so proceed as follows:
Sideskirts: clip at either end, to be removed by taking centre out with a pointed object, or a pozi headed scredriver IF it'll unscrew (doubtful) then lever out clip.
: Self tapping bolts underneath, best replaced with stainless roofing bolts, available from bolt and nut stockists or Screwfix while bits are being painted.

Rear bumper: clip at front edge of bumper under wheelarch proceed as above.
: bolt on inner surface of wheel arch, near front edge of bumper,
: clips/screws under rear edge of bumper,
: 3 large bolts through "chassis" member hold it in place, when all are removed, bumper should slide backwards.

Corner skirts: one or two clips along rear edge and front. Then the whole thing SLIDES off the bumper backwards, but be prepared to exert force if it's not been off before.
Perhaps best done while bumper still on car.
Thoroughly clean and lubricate sliding clips before replacement.

Alcazar

Don't forget plastic primer or it'll all end in tears!
Old 05 October 2004, 06:01 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers mate, yeah, It's the classic in the pic...
I'm just taking them off the car, having them Pro painted... If there off the car, I can avoid over spray on the rest of the car... Keeping the car elsewhere why these bits are being painted... been told should have them back in a couple of days...!!! All colour coded at last...
Old 05 October 2004, 07:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get the spray shop, or someone to mix you some of the same colour. The skirts suffer from stone damage very quickly esp along leading edges:

Alcazar
Old 05 October 2004, 10:46 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah, will do... gotta few stone chips to sort out too... thinking about putting that clear plastic film on the edges of the skirts and spats... Hope it will prevent most of them...
Old 06 October 2004, 11:10 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Red face

The skirts are going for paint tommorrow... so spent most of the night getting them off... what a pig... they've never been off before... took me 4 hours all in all to take just the spats and skirts off... still the rear bumper to do... dunno how I'm gonna get the screw that goes through the bumper up towards the quater out... drill maybe... such a bad design... all the clips break or don't undo as they should do... oooooo... rear started to loose me rag with it... should be worth it in the end...
Old 07 October 2004, 08:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

The only plus point, (apart from what it'll look like once painted, of course, ) is that new clips are cheap and Scoob dealers source 'em pretty quickly:

Alcazar