ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   Zymol Vs Swissol Vs AutoGlym (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/348275-zymol-vs-swissol-vs-autoglym.html)

B0DSKI 27 July 2004 06:41 PM

Zymol Vs Swissol Vs AutoGlym

Right it's time to replenish the Car cleaning cupboard.....I've always used Autoglym super Resin Polish with Extra Gloss Protection over the top on my CTR, i've always been happy with the results but i've got this gnawing doubt that either Zymol or Swissol could do an even better job!

Soooooooooo has anyone had experience of using Autoglym then trying either of the two others? And if so what would u say is the best way to go ?

sti joy 27 July 2004 06:48 PM

:nono: i used autoglym, was told about meguiars products, went to allwoods bought a load, washed and waxed, put the sunglasses on and put all the autoglym in the bin, go and try some you will not be disappointed. :thumb:

papascooby 27 July 2004 07:08 PM

meguiars :)

gravelexpress 27 July 2004 07:10 PM

meguiars it even smells nice!!

Yorkie 27 July 2004 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by sti joy
:nono: i used autoglym, was told about meguiars products, went to allwoods bought a load, washed and waxed, put the sunglasses on and put all the autoglym in the bin, go and try some you will not be disappointed. :thumb:

I did exactly the same, also bought mine from Allwoods (Newark branch).
Top drawer polish, especially the carnauba wax. :)

Fulham71 27 July 2004 07:17 PM

Swissol ;) You wont get better !
Good value for money at approx £2 - £3 a week !
All the customers I have will never use anything else again ;)

zakesm 27 July 2004 07:27 PM

i tried meguiars gold class and wont turn back - only annoying thing is the white stains on the rubbers/mouldings. but otherwise great. the wax smells like peaches and the tyre gloss smells like grapes! what do u do with americans!?!?!

zak

sti joy 27 July 2004 07:35 PM

:thumb: get the next generation stuff, even better than gold class. :thumb:

Rasher 27 July 2004 07:36 PM

Bit of a no brainer IMHO:D Swissol

Ru$$Rip 27 July 2004 07:39 PM

meguiars - the tyre dressing smells like Bubblegum

bigsinky 27 July 2004 07:48 PM

i use swissol. expensive but definately worth it. the samurai starter kit is about £125 IIRC

cheers

big sinky

cw42 27 July 2004 07:48 PM

meguiars :)
just did mine again with clay bar, detailer and nxt tech wax :)
put it away before the sun comes out and blinds me ;)
chris.

sti joy 27 July 2004 07:57 PM

:D :D :D :D :D

Ch!lledBudwei2er 27 July 2004 08:01 PM

Well I would go with either Clearkote or Poorboys, but failing that for the price and quality Meguiars

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/ tell him rhodri sent you for the poorboys and you would like a offer price.

SC008Y_MAD 27 July 2004 09:33 PM

At the moment im using Auto Glyms Shampo and conditioner, Super resin polish and tyre and wheel stuff and the glass polish and the results are ok, but my dad had noticed that his scoob is not getting as shiny and as clean as he would like. so we are going to try something else, probably either Zymbol or meguiars stuff. But this time get the wax as well to really show off the WR blue colour.

chris's scooby 27 July 2004 10:43 PM

Swissol for me, having used Autoglym for a year or two.

Best bought from www.performanceparts4u.co.uk top quality service. I ordered mine at 5.30 one afternoon and it was with me by 11 the next morning. And it smells nice too. Had to stop one of the girls in my office from eating it!!!

zhastaph 27 July 2004 11:24 PM

And it smells nice too. Had to stop one of the girls in my office from eating it!!!
Lol, one of the missus's mates was round tonight and she's rubbed it on the inside of both her wrists :D

SCD Simon 28 July 2004 12:03 AM

Swissol :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...Simon/ww_2.jpg

r32 28 July 2004 07:06 AM

Well the old nut, a polish versus a glaze.
Depends on how much you love your motor...... lets look at the difference between polishes and glazes.
A good analagy is wood, you want a shine on wood yes? So you can get various grades of sandpaper and smooth the surface down, until you are using a real fine grade of paper and the wood has a super smooth surface. Or you can use a varnish. One affects the surface and the other adds a shine on top.
All polishes (must admit the new clear polishes cant be a polish as such and must be in the glaze catagory what ever they say) contain clay, that's the white stuff, that marks plastics, the residue after it dries, the clay acts as a carrier for a small amount of wax or resin. The abrasiveness of the polish depends on the fineness of the clay. If you look very closely at the surface after polishing (with a microscope) it will resemble a well used ice skating ring, the clay will have scratched the surface and polished it down. Over time the suface can become a little dulled as the original sprayed gloss becomes diluted. The less abrasive the polish (like Autoglym) the less this is noticeable.
With a glaze you dont have any clay fillers, these are totally non-abrasive. They usually have a high content of Carnuba wax, a natural product that is the hardest known wax. Its also very expensive, so the more carnuba the more the glaze costs. But it wont affect your paint in any way it will add the shine on the top. Its probably more noticeable on a new car that hasnt been polished to death so it enhances the paint. Have you noticed how mush a new car shines? A glaze will retain that. Saying all that its still worth using on any car with good paintwork. The level of protection afgainst, flies, bird sh1t, tree sap, or just the enviroment is far highr than anything else.
Personally I would not touch my STI with a 'polish' its only ever been glazed and it does show............... Have used both, Swissol and Zymol and prefer the latter. But both amazing!

B0DSKI 28 July 2004 07:41 AM

Cheers R32 never knew any of that M8, looks like it's between either Zymol Swissol and Meguiars then!

Fulham71 28 July 2004 09:12 AM

If anyone is interested I will run a Scoobynet group buy & if we can get enough interest I will give 10% off the Swissol products

Paul

mplaczek 28 July 2004 11:14 AM

Hi,

I bought the Swissol samurai starter kit from www.performanceparts4u.co.uk after reading some very good reviews on scoobynet.
I must say the results are stunning. I have some pictures from a few days ago and will post them when I get them off my camera. :D

Someone needs to use all the above products on different panels of their car and we can all vote!

Until then, you won't find anything except swissol on my car! Smells great and the wax is very easy to apply and wipe off too. ;)

mplaczek 28 July 2004 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fulham71
If anyone is interested I will run a Scoobynet group buy & if we can get enough interest I will give 10% off the Swissol products

Paul

Paul,
I'm up for a group buy :)

sandycam 28 July 2004 12:24 PM

used autoglym for roughly 3 years on 2 cars and swore it was the best. Then bought zymol when i bought a scoob and it was better lasting a lot longer between polishes. Then bought a new sti last march and treated it to swissol and have to say it is better still. all imho!

Andrew Timmins 28 July 2004 03:26 PM

A good analagy is wood, you want a shine on wood yes? So you can get various grades of sandpaper and smooth the surface down, until you are using a real fine grade of paper and the wood has a super smooth surface. Or you can use a varnish. One affects the surface and the other adds a shine on top.
Wouldn't a better approach be to prepare the surface so that it is super smooth and THEN apply a varnish to seal in the shine?

On a new or nearly new car you can get away with applying just a wax. If the car is older and has picked up a few imperfections such as light scratches, swirl marks and oxidation the occasional use of a mild polish will improve the condition of the paint.

Autoglym seems to get a bad press on Scoobynet since the arrival of Zymol, Swissol and meguiars. If anyone thinks Autoglym Super Resin Polish is too abrasive then try applying some to a new blank CD or DVD. I have and there are no signs of surface damage. Try the same thing with T-CUT metallic and surface scratches are clearly visible. There is a huge difference between a cutting compound and a polish.

I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish a couple of times a year on my car. Then I top this with a wax about once a month. http://www.properautocare.com/p21spastewax.html

It is available from http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/...polish_wax.php

The version I use though is called S100 and is available from Harley Davidson dealers.

Fulham71 28 July 2004 05:01 PM

MZplaczek
Please get in touch

Paul

Marky-San 28 July 2004 05:29 PM

I've used all of the 3 listed.

Preference is Zymol - though the white powder residue can be a pain. The results are excellent. Plus it smells like a tanning lotion - luverly!

meguiars is very good also, but it doesnt seem to shine as much on my car for sum reason. However, on other one it works a treat. AND no residue.

Autoglym is also very good, again residue is a pain.

As some said earlier, got to do with condition of car paint prior as to which is best. My old Mondeo worked best with Halford stuff - no kidding!!

Jasoon 28 July 2004 05:41 PM

You wont go wrong with Swissol