Styling Exterior styling

Tints:(

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 12:09 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tints:(

I had the sides and rear tinted on my MY03 when it was new 12 months ago.

Got stopped by a very nice policeman on Friday and given a presenter. Although I had the lightest poss tint in the drivers / passenger window, it only lets through 44.7% of the light, whereas the legal limit is apparently 70%.

He seemed a decent chap so I took it on the chin rather than argue. I did tell him initially that I thought it was OK, but he reckoned he knew straight away that it wasn't as adding any tint film to windows that are factory tinted (as most are at the moment) always pushes them over the limit.

Anyway, had a really good chat with him and he said I'd probably be ok as he's the only one with the checker thing and he wasn't going to pull me again even if I didn't remove it.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:24 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately got the same last week, well the Mrs not me, she didn't get a producer just a straight fine of £30 and told the car would now be on a register and if we get caught again whoever was driving would get points, according to the machine my light smoke gave a reading of 35% on the fronts which seems really low to me considering the amount they still let through.

John.
Old 24 May 2004, 03:39 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... had mine done a couple of weeks ago, another reason to fleece the already overcharged motorist it seems.

Not sure how to play this one if i do get stopped for the tints.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:30 PM
Trickie
Scooby Regular

Tints guys

At the moment there is no law in writing regarding you tinting your windows,The tool they have is called a tintman an yes you should have more than 70% light in your car at all times.
9-10 times there will be only one fed in your town who has a tintman with him.

The maximum penality is 30.00 and a 7 day ticket for you to present at an mot station with your tints removed from the car.

You realy do need to be nice to the officer when he stops you more often then not i think you would get away with it........
Old 25 May 2004, 08:10 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Trickle, I don't think the tints are part of your MOT as yet due to the cost of the machine.

John.
Old 25 May 2004, 12:56 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

I spoke to my mate (an MOT Tester) last week about this and there is nothing to qualify any MOT station to say how much light level is being allowed to come in, This means if you wear sunglasses the same rule should apply !!
Cant see them stopping everyone from wearing these or perhaps you should only be stopped when it is low light levels i.e. Dark.

I think I will ask, if stopped, what qualifys MOT stations to judge this.

Daz
Old 25 May 2004, 01:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bad luck Simon. You may have noticed that my Tavia only had its rear windows tinted at Croft the other week. I decided to remove my fronts after the insurance co stated that the car was unroadworthy with them on and so the insurance was void.

Steve