Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Door handle question

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2003, 11:37 AM
subimp_tombsie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all i wanna colour code all the black on the outside of me scooby and just wondered how you get the door handles out of the door?

Cheers Tombsie
Old 18 May 2003, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

It's a strip-off the door cards job.
Basically there are about 3 or 4 screws, NOT including the large one that shows on the interior handle on later Scoobs. Most have screw covers which you carefully prize out, put away, then forget where you put 'em:
The interior door handle surround slides forwards, I think, then lifts off, and the door card is released by gently prizing the bottom away from the door where it's held in by about 6 or 8 clips, push fit type. I used a blunt screwdriver, ran it along until it was as close to the clip as poss, then levered up, and didn't break any!
Inside is a plastic moisture resistant sheet, peel it back in the area of the handle, and look inside for the bolts. Undo these two, and release the linkage from the handle: DON'T lose the coloured plastic bits that hold it in place!!!! They are a push fit, so can be eased off.
Remove entire handle from outside, and remove black plastic surround from it b4 having it sprayed. I also removed the tiny rubber bump stops that are visible once it's off.
Ask whoever sprays it to rub it down and spray with plastic primer first, as if not, it'll flake off.
I got my wing mirrors off at the same time, and had them done too, along with the side, and rear skirts.
The first door seems to take ages but once you've done one, they're easy, and go back together a dream. Well worth the trouble for the look!
Alcazar
Old 20 May 2003, 07:56 PM
subimp_tombsie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Nice one cheers mate,ile give it a go and see what happens.