Notices
Styling Exterior styling

bike mounts from my01 bugeye saloon

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2003, 08:55 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what choice have i got for mounting my mountain bike on my imprezza my01 saloon. can i get a boot mount or is the only choice on the roof. seems loads of choices for hatchbacks but what is there for booted cars?
Michael
Old 17 May 2003, 02:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Towbar mounted,
Roof mounted,
Boot mounted.
Which did a survey some months ago, and the fuel consumption went through the roof for the Boot mounted ones, (Also, your spoiler would get in the way, I think), and was up, but not as much so, for the other two.
Carrying a bike on a towbar mounted one obviously needs a towbar, not cheap, and can result in damage to the car/and/or the bike(s), esp if you carry more than one.
I have Scoob OE roofbars bought from off here, very rigid, and two types of carrier, both upright. The first was bought for £5 in France, and I have 3. They carry the bike right way up, wheels in a sort of trough with a brace holding the down tube. Extra zip-ties hold the front wheel to the brace, to stop it from shaking at speed.
The second is a Thule front-wheel-out type, and it's the best of the lot! You do have to take the front wheel out, but it can go in the car, or even zip-tied to the bike with some padding (I use the stuff for insulating pipes, £2 for 5 pieces from Wickes). I had to buy this type for my eldest's trials Orange Zero, as the brace type wouldn't clamp to the odd shaped down tube.
Alcazar