Styling Exterior styling

Question RE Chipsaway

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 03:39 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just got my STi 5 Chipsawayed, and had a few questions:

Firstly - 1 stone chip on the bonnet has been touched in and looks a slightly darker colour

Secondly - Numerous stone chips on drivers door have been touched in, but again, if looked at, the marks can still be seen (i.e. the chip has not been filled)

Is this as normal?? They removed the car-park dings well - just concerned that the chips are still noticeable due to slightly darker paint, and the scars of previous chips now painted over??
Old 15 April 2003, 11:00 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, I took my Type R up there last week (martlesham) and have 3 small dings to sort out, two of which are just dents and should be able to be sorted without any problem but the other one is right on the edge of the wheel arch and has scratched the paint!

He said to me that it will prob need to have little bit of paint and then blow it in a bit or summat???

I also had stone chip on bonnet, which was on it when I got it, and said they normally fill it to build it up to the right level then blow in some paint. He said he can’t do much to mine tho as someone has already touched it in so it’s no longer bare metal.

He quoted me £175 to do the three dents (inc the one that needs paint) they are all on different panels. Not sure if this is a good price or not??

So you pleased with it or not that impressed with his handy work? Got someone else coming out to me tomorrow to give me another quote.
Old 15 April 2003, 11:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my entire bonnet resprayed by a Dealer and they never filled the stone chips. Just sprayed and lacquered straight over the bonnet.

If they fill it, they would need to sand it all down first and a much bigger job than just spraying over the chip itself.

Stefan
Old 15 April 2003, 11:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yea he did say they sometimes rub it off so it's smooth then spray it. But if you have a big chip you might not always cover it as far as not seeing and "indent" in the paint. Does depend on what paint is used etc.
Old 16 April 2003, 12:46 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

He did a fantastic job on the dents, only 1 slightly remains (as on a double skin part) but you have to REALLY look for it. The paint does not seem an exact match (althou where he did a couple of chips on the back bumper, it seems exact), but again, if you are not looking for it, you wouldn't notice. In all honesty, I am pleased with the results because you cannot see any chips/dents unless you are right up next to the car (i.e. about 10cm away).
Price seems about right, as I said, he charged me £200 + VAT for 3 panels (and a minor dent on the bonnet).