Styling Exterior styling

spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 05:25 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I do agree with you there, sometimes PU parts can be cheaper, if they are mass produced. and there is lots of cr*p GRP stuff floating around.
All my GRP parts are substantialy made, properly finished and I have a no charge, no questions asked returns policy.(MRO)
Tha way it should be

[Edited by rob oneill - 3/2/2003 5:28:01 PM]
Old 03 February 2003, 08:56 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I know you didnt mate, I just wanted to distinguish my stuff from some of the other less well made out there

[Edited by rob oneill - 3/2/2003 9:00:19 PM]
Old 27 February 2003, 06:07 PM
EDDIE`5COOB
Scooby Regular

Could anybody tell me the difference(if any)between GRP spoilers and PU resin injected spoilers and if so which is the best one to get.
Old 27 February 2003, 11:23 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PU is basicaly the stuff that your original bumpers are made of, its strong and also flexible, which is good in some cases. It is expensive to make parts up in this stuff, and is only realy used where there will be a large production run to make it cost effective.

The majority of after market body kits are made fron GRP. GRP is glass reinforced plastic. This stuff is great for making small numbers of bodyparts at a comparativley low cost, as no expensive equipment is needed, and its easy to work with. The quality of the pieces will largley be down to the skill of the person laying it up. If its poorly done, then it can be bad, and need lots of work before spraying. But if done well, parts can be made with a very good strenght/ stiffness to weight ratio. It will crack if you smash it hard enough, but on the other hand, once a PU part has been bent so far, it will be permenantley deformed.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Rob.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:01 AM
EDDIE`5COOB
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob

GRP it is then.
Old 02 March 2003, 04:44 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

i've seen some pu spoilers at a cheaper price than grp and don't think that grp are better like rob says it depends on whose making them but it seems a large number of people making them are just knocking them out and don't or can't spend the time on them, i got a bumper from mcr years ago and it was as thin as a sheet of cardboard and chipped to bits but if you send it back they want to charge a handling charge so thats there way around it you either keep it and if its crap, repair it or if you send it back they charge you, like i said this was a few years ago i don't know if it's the same now but its pu for me now as its cheap with no chips.
Old 02 March 2003, 05:25 PM
EDDIE`5COOB
Scooby Regular

Double D where have you seen these spoilers.
Old 02 March 2003, 07:59 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

Rob i didn't mean to compare any of your products with things i've seen in the past, if you have a no quibble returns policy then i think thats the way it should be,
the last spoiler i bought was a lester one, i got it from advanceevolution,
Old 03 March 2003, 07:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just a quick point on GRP that I've read on here - make sure that they're "finished" properly. Someone was having problems with a GRP spoiler bubbling the paint due to moisture leaking out of it. All spoilers should be properly sealed, but this one wasn't. Worth asking the supplier.