Notices
Styling Exterior styling

New Rallytech Spoiler - Now water in my boot!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2002, 12:32 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am having mega-problems with the rallytech spoiler on MY02 that I have just fitted. Whilst I can waterproof the 4 bootlid holes with sealant and the original screws I cannot seal the brakelight hole. The water is flowing straight through into the boot. The problem is that you can physically see the hole where the bootlid screws go from underneath but you cannot see the hole where the brake light cable goes through as it seems to be at an angle. I have tried squirting sealant in the general direction but it does not seal. The only alterantive I can see is to take the spoiler off and start again however it is secured fast with some mega double sided tape. Does anyone have any ideas how to seal the brake cable hole and to remove the spoiler (if needs be).

Thanks
Old 29 December 2002, 12:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Maybe a bit drastic, but have you thought of using that expanding foam that buiders use round new water pipes? It's available from DIY shops/builder's merchants, is waterproof, has a long nozzle, and expands to about 10 times it's original size. Might do it.
Failing that, use thin strong twine between the spoiler and the bootlid to "cut" through the d/s tape,pulled in a gentle sawing motion from one end to the other. Remove residue by soaking with WD40 or similar, then wiping, repeat if necessary.
Remove spoiler, seal hole from outside with clear silicone, leave to dry, so as not to disturb seal, refit with new sticky pads, (from the dealer who sold it you?) if not, a bodyshop.
Alcazar

[Edited by alcazar - 12/29/2002 12:53:24 PM]
Old 29 December 2002, 01:50 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

The way i fitted my spoiler was to fit double sided sponge type tape you can buy from most automotive accessory stores... i did this all the way round the base of the spoiler and around the holes on the spoiler where it screws to the car... and ive not had one leak yet and its been fitted for 8 months..!

I also put a small amount of grease around the hole i had drilled in my boot just to protect against rust..

Dan

Old 29 December 2002, 03:23 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, Any ideas how I get the damn spoiler off again to reseal? It dont wanna move
Old 30 December 2002, 05:45 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I applied silicone sealant underneath and it worked a treat
Old 31 December 2002, 08:37 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Fizz,
In the case of the brake light cable how did you know you was sealing the hole as it cannot be seen from underneath?

Cheers
Old 31 December 2002, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Have you taken the bolts/screws out?:
When you have, reread my post: use thin strong string. Loop about 3 turns round each hand, leaving about 18" in between. Now pass the free bit over tyhe spoiler base where it contacts the car boot. Make sure the string goes into thye crack between the two. Now saw it backwards and forwards, while keeping it tight, and pulling gently towards you. It has the effect of "cutting" the old sticky pads without marking your bootlid/spoiler.
Remove excess sticky pads with WD40, leave for 15 mins, and wipe off with kitchen roll.
Remember to repolish the area where it fitted before refitting.
Alcazar