Styling Exterior styling

Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2002, 05:44 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm gonna change my MY02 STi7 (ironing board) spoiler for something else so it was good to see the STi6 spoiler and the STi5 spoiler in the other threads. I was thinking of going for the STi7 Prodrive Style but I haven't actually seen those close up, anyone post pics of theirs?

What's the difference between the 5,6,and 7. I could see the top lip difference between the 5 and the 6 - anything else?

Last question - I'm not at all mechanically minded so how difficult is it to change spoiler ? Is just it a question of removing the 4 nuts from the bolts under the lid of the boot and plugging in the cable again for the 3rd brake light? If so, I could prolly manage that. If not, what else has to be done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09 November 2002, 07:14 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

The only Diff between 5 and 6 is the lip on the top half.

Fitting the 6 was reasonably easy. I got mine from Jap innovations
It came in two parts with all the nuts and bolts needed.

The hardest things with mine was to feed the wire thru the base and only having small holes to get my fingers in to find the wire. I used some welding wire 1st and tied the brake light wire to the end and pulled it thru. Also because of the small holes it was difficult to get the two half's bolted together as its quite a reach and the holes were everso slightly of centre, but placing some folded cardboard between the half's to prop them apart allowed me to see where the bolts came thru and line them up with the thread. Took some time and a few cuts and scrapes to fingers but I got it done.

Fitting to the boot lid is going depend if the spoiler you get has the bolts moulded into the bottom of the spoiler. So they just poke thru and you do the nuts up from underneath.

Mine just had the nuts moulded in to the base so I had to buy some bolts, cut them down to about an inch long and then push them up from the underside of the boot lid. Needs two people doing it this way as its hard to hold the spoiler whilst trying to find the holes, get the bolt into the thread, tighten it up and not have the boot lid hit you on the head or you drop the spoiler.

Four bolts and your done, the last bit is to connect the wires up and your set to go
Old 10 November 2002, 10:58 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Krade, thanks a million for your detailed response. From your description, I think I might be able to do it myself.

Now, how do I buy the spoiler and fit it without the wife noticing? Kids want Xmas pressies but so do I !
Old 10 November 2002, 05:32 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another spoiler I think you should consider is the Rallytec spoiler. I've fitted one to my STi 7 and would recommend one as I think it looks good as is of high quality:

The Rallytec is about £550 for the carbon bladed one and about £500 for the fibreglass one. The STi 7 Prodrive Spoiler is also nice but comes in at around £900 including the uprated torque bars

Matt
Old 10 November 2002, 05:40 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

WOW ! That really does look the business (the car *and* the spoiler !) - gotta be the wax wizard treatment too by the looks of it!

I think for 350 quid less I could certainly live with the Rallytec

As this will be the first mod I'll have done to any car, allow me a dumb question...does the spoiler come in the same colour as the car or do you have to spray it yourself?
Old 10 November 2002, 08:33 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

The ralltech is nice, simialr to the STI6.
My spoiler is the MRT sti 6 replica & cost £346,

same look for less money which is always nice. They come ready Primed and you will need to get it Sprayed, You could try it your self but unless you have the right tools and an Oven to bake it in then your going to have to have a body shop do it for you, Prices vary from place to place but you will Prob be looking at around £200 for a top class job.
Old 10 November 2002, 09:39 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

What about this WRC style one on ebay...!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...item=732884230

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 11/10/2002 9:41:17 PM]

[Edited by dhorwich - 11/10/2002 9:41:59 PM]
Old 11 November 2002, 08:24 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys. Guess this is going to be a difficult choice. I prefer the spoiler to have a brake light so the e-Bay one isn't going to be my first choice (sorry!). Just wondering/thinking out loud, is it possible to get the spoiler with the brake light on top as opposed to on the boot? I thought the Prodrive spoiler had this but could be wrong...
Old 11 November 2002, 03:26 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Rallytec comes unsprayed but I think they work out about £500 (including spraying) for the fibreglass one and £550 (including spraying) for the fibreglass one with the upper carbon blade (which I've got).

The Prodrive spoiler comes with the light in the lower part (as do most high level spoilers) and the WRC ones have been known to crack after a while (and don't have a light at all).

You know which one I'd recommend (but of course I'm biased )

Matt
Old 11 November 2002, 03:29 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Frenchie,

www.drmotorsport.co.uk are doing the rallytech spoilers for 450 quid INCLUDING painting! A bargain and the best thing is it uses your existing brake light from the ironing board and can be removed if you want to sell it again after without leaving nasty holes in your car.
Old 11 November 2002, 05:40 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

There's no cracks in mine Matt

scott
Old 11 November 2002, 07:32 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Y'know, I thought this was gonna be a no-brainer ! All these spoilers look great - anything other than my current board looks great right? Choices, choices !!

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate all the comments and the help - I hope this is also useful to lurkers and other "modding" newbies too !

I have no access to a paint shop/oven so whatever I get is going to have to be "ready-made" which was why I was leaning towards the Prodrive spoiler initially. I checked the price on a French scooby site and it's like, 800 Euros - about 1200 quid !

Ru$$rip, that Rallytec deal sounds great so I'll go check out the web site and see what the score is on shipping to France and see if they will have it colour coded with my car.

Still haven't figured out how I'm gonna get this past the missus but that's a non-technical problem I'll have to keep working on !

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 11/11/2002 7:43:37 PM]
Old 12 November 2002, 08:43 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Has anyone used the extension kit sold advertised on this site from TSL? My car is on contract hire, so i'm a bit reluctent to spend **** loads on it as i won't get a penny back.
Old 12 November 2002, 09:36 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scott,

Are you sure?

Frenchie, €800 is about £500 I believe, not £1200. If you buy this one you also need the uprated torque bars to go with it which are about another £50. The cost of the two in the UK is around £900 inc (painted).

I've also heard many good things about DR Motorsport and if you give them your paint code, I'm sure they could get it sprayed for you!

Ta,

Matt
Old 12 November 2002, 07:42 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

MM - thanx for correcting me on the conversion - 'twas my birthday yesterday so the champagne screwed up my ability to calculate

Hmm...500 quid for the Prodrive spoiler and another 50 for the torque bars isn't too bad I guess. Dunno what I'd do with torque bars let alone know how to fit them but I guess the dealer might know

I think I'll go see the dealer and have a chat with him to see what the bottom line on a ProDrive spoiler is - he's been terrific with me so I've no complaints (BODIN AUTO in Gex for our French readers !)

The bad news of the day is that the missus has decided that from here on in, perfume is out for pressies and she's "upgrading" to Burberry's kit. I just priced a scarf - 150 quid ! A bag? 300 quid ! Where does she imagine I'm gonna get that kinda money from???

Old 13 November 2002, 01:58 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

austen, I have used the TSL extension kits - to my cost! Lets just say that they are an acquired taste and look better on pictures. IMHO the direct rear view is awful, I put them on and sold them within 2 days (at a loss). Like we have been saying on this forum if you go for the rallytech spoiler or similar from www.drmotorsport.co.uk they use the existing holes on the boot so there is a chance to put the ironing board back on when it goes back and sell the spoiler on this forum.
Old 29 November 2002, 07:25 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

Ru$$, why did you have to sell the extensions at a loss, would TSL not take them back?
Old 01 December 2002, 08:04 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Yeah right............. No TSL would most certainly not take em back. Great eh!
Old 01 December 2002, 08:15 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

Ru$$ a mate of mine is interested in their agressive front lip spoiler but at £276 its a lot of money, like you say the products look great in the pictures, i was just wondering their reason for not giving your money back as you weren't happy.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:22 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I had sprayed them before I decided that I did not like the look so the product in effect was classed as 'used'. Incidentally what model/year of scoob does your m8 have coz I know a few peeps who have the front lip from Rob at Mro developments - It looks fantastic , IMHO the best one out there. AND for 200 quid PAINTED one of the cheapest. It is for the MY01+

Old 02 December 2002, 07:47 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

Ru$$ not sure of the year but this is the splitter, whats MROs website, i'll pass info on, cheers.
Old 03 December 2002, 09:01 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Double, When you go into www.scoobynet.co.uk look for the advertising banner at the top. Failing that put a thread up in styling. IMHO the spoiler they offer knocks spots of the one in your piccy.
Old 03 December 2002, 09:57 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Double

Here is the link that you are looking for, and a picture to boot.

Duncan
Old 03 December 2002, 07:26 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, i've had a look on their website looks good, thanks for your help. Dean
Old 03 December 2002, 10:43 PM
MY01/555
Scooby Regular

Question

matt,great spoiler,what is the address of rallytec i cant find it