Styling Exterior styling

Will Wax Protect From Stonechips?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 09:09 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Grrrr. Had my car sprayed around Christmas time and already it's gathering chips, despite avoiding newly laid chippings like the plague and doing very slow speeds over them when I'm on em (they're everywhere at the moment). I polish with Colour Magic fairly regularly, but this obviously isn't doing the biz with regard to protecting the paint work.
Presumably wax would protect better? I realise it's never going to be bullet proof but it really needs to be better than it is at the moment. What's recommended then? I know Wax Wizard is the stuff of choice, but is it really value for money? How long does the treatment last, and how well does it protect? Which is the treatment I'd need of WW's? Are there £10 Autoglym alternatives that will do nearly as well (with regard to protecting the paint, not just making it shiny). Is Mer wax or polish? Description seems unclear - would be pleased if someone said that's the stuff to use for ultimate protection as my mum has a big bottle in the garage - don't let that influence your adivce though

Cheers,
Ben
Old 17 September 2002, 11:12 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Hi Nige,
Thanks for the reply - you were up early!
Presumably I should have gone for the Armourfend straight after the spray, but anyway do you mind me asking how much it is on a Scoob sized car? Could think of getting the car Chipsaway'd and have it done I s'pose.
Cheers,
Ben

[Edited by scoobyster - 9/17/2002 11:19:45 PM]
Old 18 September 2002, 06:40 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Ben, the cost was around 400 quid,sounds alot but cheaper than a respray and you only have to do it once!
Old 09 December 2002, 07:42 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Ben
I use Wax Wizard products and they are as good as every one says.
They wont however stop stone chips neither will Autoglym, Mer or any other wax..
The only thing that will do that is Armourfend.( or a similar product) I have it fitted to my car. Briefly it is a protective thin layer of transparent 3m film that is pre cut to the various shapes of your car. This is bonded on using a water based adhesive that dries out completely..
It definitely does work
Hope this helps

Nige..

[Edited by Rasher - 9/12/2002 7:43:42 AM]