Styling Exterior styling

how do i....

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2002, 03:20 PM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

take off the front bumper, skirts, windmirrors and door handles or does any1 have any instructions/pics???

thanks in advance

my98 impreza turbo
Old 30 August 2002, 03:36 PM
suffolkscoob
Scooby Regular

i don't know, how do you ...
Old 30 August 2002, 03:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'm due to get my car colour coded soon but I'm not getting door handles done as apparently this is a total nightmare job as you have to take out the central locking system to get them out and paint them!
Old 01 September 2002, 05:11 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Door handles come out of the classic car quite easily (without playing with the locks) - 2 bolts in each handle.

You have to take the door cards off first (that includes carefully unplugging the electric windows etc.)

Then peel back carefully the plastic bag thing. I found that gently slicing the black gunge with a stanly knife blade quite effective. (The aim is not to stretch the plastic.)

This will leave you with access to the bolts. Use a 10mm socket and long extension to undo them. You have to use some of the holes in the door so things line up.

Reach in through the big hole in the door, and pinch the black outer bits on the top and bottom of the door handle. It should then be loose. Note the positions of the push rods in the door!!!

This bit is fiddly. Practice makes perfect
Slowly and gently wriggle the door handle out of the hole. It helps to pull the dorr handle up at this point as it makes the handle seem smaller and easier to get out. Once you can see the top of the push rod, there is a plastic clip holding it in the door handle. This can be rotated and the rod removed.

I took my handles apart for painting. This is optional and tricky. You must squeeze up the splayed end of the hinge pin, and pull this out of the handle after disconnecting the spring (so there is no load on it.)

You should then have two bits of plastic to paint. (the back protector bit won't paint so don't try to do it, as it will crack on reassembly.

Assembly is the reverse of fitting.

This does not disturb the locking mechanism in any way. I've just done it. (The locks remain in the doors)

Good luck

BTW if you are around Southampton, I could be persuaded to give you a hand.
Old 01 September 2002, 05:13 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Oh yes - preparation is 9/10ths of a good job here.

Wash and prime the plastic first!