Styling Exterior styling

New splitter or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2014, 12:49 AM
Mazy jazz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New splitter or repair?

Recently purchased spec c type RA blob, unfortunately ( I'm not sexist) the woman driver damaged it on a kurb. Can anyone advice if these are repairable or available to purchase new. I can post pic of splitter if needed. Thanks!!
Old 12 April 2014, 10:22 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curbed my HT Autos one on the corner last week & had a 10 inch open crack in it, just had it repaired & sprayed in Satin finish, £70 job done!
Old 12 April 2014, 10:51 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

mystic genie say no,

stick a pic up bud, mite help
Old 13 April 2014, 08:24 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Max, if you want the best then go for a genuine Subaru V Limited splitter as it'll fit perfectly, another option is a carbon fibre splitter I think a company called JM Carbon made them and they are reported to be good quality.

If you want one that you won't mind if it gets hit or cracked then get a HT Autos splitter, the fit isn't perfect and neither is the finish but they are cost effective if you're going to be regularly replacing them.
Old 13 April 2014, 09:23 PM
Mazy jazz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Max, if you want the best then go for a genuine Subaru V Limited splitter as it'll fit perfectly, another option is a carbon fibre splitter I think a company called JM Carbon made them and they are reported to be good quality.

If you want one that you won't mind if it gets hit or cracked then get a HT Autos splitter, the fit isn't perfect and neither is the finish but they are cost effective if you're going to be regularly replacing them.
Cheers ty, I've prettying made my mind up that a new one is in order, damaged in both corners and I'm a fussy *****, so its gotta go. Having its service/belts etc this Wednesday all being well then some love can be put into her. I'm correct in assuming the v limited splitter is identical to what I've got now? Don't really want to go carbon fibre as trying to keep as original as possible! - which for me is rare!
Old 13 April 2014, 09:57 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mazy jazz
Cheers ty, I've prettying made my mind up that a new one is in order, damaged in both corners and I'm a fussy *****, so its gotta go. Having its service/belts etc this Wednesday all being well then some love can be put into her. I'm correct in assuming the v limited splitter is identical to what I've got now? Don't really want to go carbon fibre as trying to keep as original as possible! - which for me is rare!
I would imagine if it's always had original parts fitted to it then the genuine Subaru V Limited spoiler should be on it, but they aren't cheap at around £450 or thereabouts.

You can tell the Subaru item over the HT Autos as the difference in quality and fit is night and day, but having said that the Subaru one is four times the price of the HT Autos splitter.

If you want I will have a look at your car on Wednesday and I can definitely tell you what you have fitted if that helps.
Old 21 April 2014, 10:50 PM
Mazy jazz
Scooby Regular

So.... Have been looking at so many different v limited replicas splitters and have decided to have a go at repairing the one I've got. The scuff is not an issue, I can get this out with very fine wet n dry. On the one side it has a split in it about 1.5 inch vertically ( if someone can enlighten me how to pop a picture up I will). Been looking at plastic weld kits, in all the pictures I've seen it seems to be a soldering iron and the plastic welding rods or is it not a soldering iron, don't want to buy the complete kit if the soldering iron I've for can be used with a set of welding rods. Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks max
Old 25 April 2014, 06:28 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Got a fiberglass splitter on my car and im for ever scraping/knocking it, got myself a fiberglass kit and some sandpaper and P38 filler, and a couple of cans of satin black spray paint. when ever my splitter has took a beating, I repair it and give it a couple of coats of paint and looks brand new again!!!
Old 28 April 2014, 12:45 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Yes, plastic welding is done with a soldering iron.
Old 29 April 2014, 12:47 AM
Mazy jazz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
Yes, plastic welding is done with a soldering iron.
Cheers Dave. Seems the plastic on this splitter is polyurethane and is not plastic weldable very easily if at all. Have got a fibreglass kit to reinforce from behind and polyurethane resin to fill the crack ill have and then try sand to shape and respray. Nothing to loose by trying I'd have to buy a new one anyway!!