Sport General sport discussion

Brighton Marathon 2012

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2012, 04:59 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighton Marathon 2012

In a moment of weakness I have rather foolishly agreed to run the Brighton Marathon in April on behalf of the RNLI.

I have been training regularly since November and now running 12-14miles confidently but I am after any tips or advice from past participants!

If you have ran a marathon before what small nuggets of advice/tips can you pass on? I have (for the record), recently had my first case of 'joggers nipples' and it felt like they were on fire for a few days after

I have been advised to use micropore/plasters/vaseline in future on longer runs unless anyone has better suggestions

Any pointers would be appreciated
Old 28 January 2012, 09:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

youll be needing plenty lube if your going to brighton lol ....
Old 29 January 2012, 12:26 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Just running through so hopefully won't have to stop
Old 02 February 2012, 08:20 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

So I guess there are not many runners on SN then?
Old 02 February 2012, 11:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i have done a few

biggest tip is to know and maintain your pace

you should know what a 9.30 min/mile feels like and what a 9.50 min/mile feels like

so work out your race pace and stick to it

and don't run for 7/8 days before the run

and good luck
Old 03 February 2012, 02:19 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i have done a few

biggest tip is to know and maintain your pace

you should know what a 9.30 min/mile feels like and what a 9.50 min/mile feels like

so work out your race pace and stick to it

and don't run for 7/8 days before the run

and good luck
Thanks hodgy, I find it hard to monitor times in particular min/miles. I have started some tempo running to try and improve speed too. What times have you done and honestly, how did it go?!
Old 03 February 2012, 05:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Camo, I am a "plodder" -- so usually between 4.30 and 5 hrs and you dont think about distance just time

the last years London Marathon was awful, just did not feel "right", and after 8 miles I was really struggling and it is a real "mindfvck" to think you still have 18 miles to go

so actually it is best to think in terms of time -- rather than distance

but a really good indicator is your 10k (6 mile) time, so my 10k time is about 57 mins, which is a 9.30 pace, obviously you can not do that for 4 hours, so my marathon pace is 10.55 - which = a 4.45 marathon

so lets say you wanted to do a sub 4.30 time, that is a 10 min mile, you need to be doing 10k in 53 odd mins, which is a 9 min mile

get a garmain gps watch, I bought one for the wife, really good and you can down load the runs to a computer, it will give you every state you need

whats your target time

ps put "marathon pace calculator" in to google

oh and one last thing, sounds stupid must you must train with road running, not on a machine -- totally different

oh and when you do cross the line it is one of the most amazing feelings ever!!

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 03 February 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 11:37 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

You need to be doing at least one long run each week, up to a maximum of 18-20 miles no closer to the event than 3 weeks before. After that, you need to taper down, i.e. recover from the training, before the marathon.
Use these long runs to practice your energy and hydration strategies. You will need to be using some kind of energy supplement during the run - jelly babies, energy gels, etc. You also need to practice drinking on the run.
You've also found out that kit is really important - rough fabric can give serious nipple-chafe, so use some micropore tape on nipples and vaseline armpits and inside legs. I've also heard that vaseline in the toes is good, but I've never needed to do it. Make sure that all the kit you're racing in has been tried and tested. If it's a hot day, there may be showers on the course to cool you down, and alternatively if it's raining you will get wet anyway. Make sure that all your kit stays comfortable when it's wet.
You need to be able to run 15 miles comfortably before the event - the marathon is 11 miles more than this, so don't get lulled into thinking that will power will get you round. It's a bloody long way, and only training will get you through it. You will find the last 6-8 miles incredibly tough, so as other posters have said, make sure you are very strict with yourself on pace. Having tapered your training down to raceday, you will feel great at the start, really nice and fresh. The hardest thing will be to hold back over the first 7 or 8 miles when you will have the temptationt to run too fast. Just enjoy the miles going by under your feet and hit your target mile times. If you run too fast at this point, you will be paying for it at 20 miles. If you do intend on getting a Garmin, make sure you run with it on at least 2 long runs. I have found that when I used one, the chest belt chafed very badly compared to my usual HRM.
And lastly, do really enjoy the day. Think about the charity you're running for and make sure you make it round!
Old 10 April 2012, 09:19 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

When's the run dude?